Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC pipe question

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC pipe question

See the output port on the Jandy valve in the photo? I need to cut everything off from that Tee downward and put a 2" union on it so I can repipe all the way to the pump. My question is, after i cut the Tee off, that will leave only about a half inch of pipe to glue a 2 inch union onto. Is that enough? If not, I'll have to buy a new Jandy valve and start from the ground up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21,500 Gal IG plaster, free form, PAC-FAB NAUTILUS NFS-60 DE filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; TELEDYNE LAARS Series One gas heater. Hayward PoolVac V-Flex pool cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC pipe question

I see no Tee that you are referring to (pic is too close I think).

Looks like you will have to replace a lot more than planned due to the lack of free pipe anywhere around that valve.

ALTHOUGH ... you may be able to use a coupler on the outside of the valve to a larger pipe and save the valve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jandy valves accept the next larger size pipe fit over the outside of the fitting, so this should be fairly simple.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I see no Tee that you are referring to (pic is too close I think).

Looks like you will have to replace a lot more than planned due to the lack of free pipe anywhere around that valve.

ALTHOUGH ... you may be able to use a coupler on the outside of the valve to a larger pipe and save the valve.
    Sorry for not being more clear. That fitting on the south end of the valve is a tee. Down goes to the pump, right goes to an old spa line that's not used any longer. I want to eliminate that, and repipe from the valve to the pump.

I will look into a coupler for that port, as you and Jason have suggested. Would that be a 3 inch to 2 inch reducing coupler?
    21,500 Gal IG plaster, free form, PAC-FAB NAUTILUS NFS-60 DE filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; TELEDYNE LAARS Series One gas heater. Hayward PoolVac V-Flex pool cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the current pipe is 2", the outside connection will take 2.5" pipe, and you can then reduce that to 2" with a reducer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If the current pipe is 2", the outside connection will take 2.5" pipe, and you can then reduce that to 2" with a reducer.
    Ah, okay. Off to the store I go.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

There are reamers available to ream out fittings to accept new pipe. They are a bit pricey in the $50.00 range but, if you have an expensive valve to replace I could be worth it. Just figured I would pass this along.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    There are reamers available to ream out fittings to accept new pipe. They are a bit pricey in the $50.00 range but, if you have an expensive valve to replace I could be worth it. Just figured I would pass this along.
    Thanks for the tip. I went out looking for 2.5 inch PVC pipe. Neither Lowe's nor Home Depot had any. Not sure where to go next. Maybe online? Dunno?

9. Back To Top    #9

There has to be a plumbing store around that would have it.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!