Cracked Hayward-Perflex EC40 - repair or replace?

Jul 25, 2011
Bedford, NH
I'm a pool rookie.

I left my drained Hayward-Perflex EC40 in my garage over the winter, and when I brought it out last month, I noticed the outer plastic casing was significantly cracked. Not sure if someone hit it or it had anything to do with the cold weather.

Can this be replaced or repaired? Or should I just replace it? If I replace it, I prefer cartridge filters, and I'd likely need to go used for financial reasons. Assuming I use my current pump, how do I determine the right size filter to buy?

Hello. If I where you I would replace the filter because if you tried to fix it it may blow apart when the pump is running then you may burn the pump out and be out a whole filtration system. :cry: . For the size filter I would look at the square footage and gpm decal on the side of your filter to determine what filter you will need. Hope his helps :-D

Here is the information on the side of the filter and the pump. I assume since I have such a small pool (15' round) that I'm ok with any filter I see on Craigslist from a larger pool? If not, what specifications are most important? And is there any reason for me to replace the pump?

hello, any filter will work for your needs as long as it is a Hayward DE filter with the model number, EC-40, EC-50 or EC-50C. now to the pump, it should be ok. BUT, if you can find a whole system that is less than 4 years old on craigslist for less than $200 bucks you would have a great deal and any size hp or gpm pump should do. if you do find a pump, keep it for a spare like i do just in case something may happen to your pump. hope this help and you get you pool running soon :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.