Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Artificial lawn sources (Canada)

1. Back To Top    #1

Artificial lawn sources (Canada)

We're going to go ahead with a big landscaping project around the pool soon. Not too far from the pool (outside the fence) there will be a play area for our kids.

After seeing it a the kid's daycare, I tought that using synthetic grass for that area would be a good idea. I haven't shopped around much, but on the web I found a company called Synlawn (http://www.synlawn.ca) that sells the stuff. However, the price they quote on their site (5-7$ a square feet) is higher than the price of the hardwood floors in my house...

Does anybody know another source in Canada (preferreably around Ottawa) that would have a good product at a reasonable price ?
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Have you thought about EcoLawn? It it actually grass, but a different species that requires little to no cutting and is apparently soft like carpet.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    One caution on artificial grass.

It's still early, but they've found really high lead levels associated with certain types of it recently. I realize in this day and age, everything is bad for you, just raising this up there
    Jim

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    It's still early, but they've found really high lead levels associated with certain types of it recently.
    Yep, I've read that. It seems to be associated with the higher-end Nylon type and not the Polyethylene type.
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have Synlawn in my yard... I'll have to get around to taking some pictures... I don't think the pictures I've posted before had the lawn installed yet. We have two little boys (1.5 and 2.5) so we wanted a 'grass' surface in the yard for them to run around and play on.

We wanted a synthetic lawn for several reasons... I don't want to waste my time mowing and weed-whacking several times a week. When I had a lawn in NY it was always a pain to keep it looking perfect. I don't want to have to fertalize, or re-seed it every year... Basically I just didn't want the hassle the comes with a lawn.

Because we wanted a play structure for the boys we ended up getting the SynPlay product. It's their high-end turf with a foam backing so that it's rated for 8 foot falls without serious head injury (hopefully).

Anyway, we're really happy with it. The main down-side is heat. In the hot arizona sun it gets HOT... I'm talking hotter than concrete in the sun hot. It's not a deal breaker for us since it's really only crazy hot in the mid-day sun and you don't really want to be running around in Tucson in the mid-day either.

In a nut-shell we'd recommend it highly.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.