Newly converted to the BBB method. Couple of questions.

May 13, 2012
I have a 28,000 gallon pool. It went in so late last summer that I'm considering this summer as the actual "first" season with the pool.

I have been using pucks. Here is a link to what I have to be exact. http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... mmer-Tabs/. I have also been using (for the most part) granular shock.

After discovering this website, and my CYA going from 30 to 60 already this year (the first 30 of that I did on purpose, I added stablizer) I no longer wish to use the pucks. Well, that is a lie. I wish I could use them, but I don't want to deal with the added CYA (I was under the impression it would take YEARS for it to get to a level where you would have to partially drain.

My question is this (and this may the dumbest question posted yet). Now I have this nearly full bucket of 48 pounds of pucks. $229.00 worth to be exact. Math has never been my thing........ but I'm wondering. With evaporation... I wonder if putting one puck in the dispenser on a weekly basis would keep the CYA too awfully fast. Or if even that would be bad. I hate to flat out not use the $230.00 I spent.

Any thoughts?

Or if you have a sand filter and live in an area where you get enough junk in the pool to frequently backwash, you can use pucks some. However, that many pucks and only able to use them occasionally would mean you would be using on those picks for years! So, yeah, selling them would be your best bet.

Swimgirl said:
Or if you have a sand filter and live in an area where you get enough junk in the pool to frequently backwash, you can use pucks some. However, that many pucks and only able to use them occasionally would mean you would be using on those picks for years! So, yeah, selling them would be your best bet.

We have a cartridge filter with the valve that allows you to vacuum to waste. I would say 4 out of every 5 times I vacuum, especially during hot weather, I just go ahead and vacuum to waste. For one, it gets just enough of the super warm water out of the pool allowing me to put just enough cold water back in to drop the temp a few degrees. Plus it's always breezy where our pool sits. Along with being in the country, next to a hayfield, oh, and pollen, we can't forget pollen!.... I like to vac to waste so I know that that tiny stuff is GONE from the pool :) PLUS, it may just seem this way, but it is almost like we get better suction VTWing. That could just be in my head though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.