8 Gallons of 6% to shock ???

May 23, 2007
Michigan
I think my pool may have some algae growing and a shock treatment is in order but the bleach calculator says 8 gallons of 6% would be required. This seems like a awful lot considering my pool has a vinyl liner. Does this seem correct ?

* Pool is 20*40 hopper pool with 8.5 foot diving end (25k Gallons??)
* Liner with Aquapure salt system
* Electric Cover
* Water temp is currently 85

Current Readings:
FC 4
CYA 55
PH 7.8

I have been running the aqua-pure at 75% for 15 hours a day and I can barely keep the FC at 4. I turned the aquapure off one evening and took a FC-DPD test and got a 5 for FC, then in the morning the test was 3.5.

Eight gallons sounds about right given your CYA level and pool size. As long as your CYA level is about right, and you add chlorine as we recommend, there is no risk to the liner at all. Bleach should be added by pouring slowly in front of a return jet while the pump is running. That will mix it into the water very quickly.

Can I add he Chlorine to the skimmer with the pump running instead ? I poured the bleach slowly in front of a skimmer before and I think the liner got bleached where I did it. It did happen in the shallow end and I know now to do it in the deep end.

Do not pour the bleach in the skimmer.

Pour it SLOWLY in front of a return a foot or so out. Think 2 minutes per bottle.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.