Any downside to using sodium thiosulfate to lower cl level?

Sep 22, 2011
Hi everyone,

Still new to this... my pool pump motor died a week ago. I finally got a replacement on Monday, installed it Monday night and ran the filter overnight. Suprisingly, the water was still crystal clear with no signs of algea, even after having the pump off for almost a week. I did put several chlorine pucks in the floaters, but that was it. When I started the pump, I immediately noticed that "chlorine smell" that I know is caused by the chlorine reacting to stuff in the water. Also the water in the skimmer boxes had a bit of slime around the edges. We are having a get-together this weekend, so I didn't want to take any chances. I dumped in 5 gallons of 12% liquid sodium hypochlorite just to be safe.

Now the weather is going to be almost 100 degrees and my chlorine levels are way up. As of this morning, my levels were: FC 23; CC 0. With a CYA of 40, the CYA chart says shocking level is 16. I've read that anything above shock level is not safe for swimming. I wouldn't care, but I don't want my wife or two-year old son in the pool unless it is safe.

Anyway, I've read that you can use sodium thiosulfate (sold at Leslies; $12.99 for 3 lbs) to lower chlorine levels. From what I've read, 2.5 ozs. of sodium thiosulfate for every 10k gallons of pool water will lower chlorine levels by 1 ppm. My pool is 30k gallons, so if I added one container (3 lbs), it should lower my chlorine from 23 ppm down to roughly 16 ppm. Also, we're supposed to get full sun today, so that should lower the levels as well.

Any downside to using this stuff? Also, do my calculations look right?

Kevin

Re: Any downside to using sodium thiosulfate to lower cl lev

I have the same approximate values for my pool since Ive been shocking for mustard algae for a week or so now. I've been IN the pool everyday scrubbing nooks and crannies for at least an hour at a time and the only consequence has been that my hair dye has gone from dark brown to a lighter brown with an orangey tint. (yuck) I make sure I rinse out my bathing suit well so that the chlorine doesnt sit in it and weaken the material. I think that between the sun, bather load, and time you'll be surprized how quickly your FC will drop and will be happy it was high to begin with. I wouldn't go thru the extra expense just to add another chemical that you'll be swimming in. I don't think there's an issue swimming in shock level chlorine....
anyone else with an opinion???

You're calcs look right, but I wouldn't add anything to the pool. I get full sun on my pool all day and with a 40 ppm CYA I lose about 2-3 ppm FC a day on average. So I would guess you'd be about the same depending on organics and bather load. If your party is this weekend, then over the next 3 days you'll drop anywhere between 6-9 ppm anyway. Wait till Friday and check your FC then...if you're still concerned then...maybe. But I usually boost my FC if I know I'm going to have a few people in the pool anyway just to ward off potential problems...organics, pee, suntan lotion, perfumes, beer, etc. LOL

You will probably lose more than 50% of your starting FC level to sunlight each day. Your FC level will be down to something reasonable by sometime probably early this afternoon, so no point in using chemicals to lower the FC level. The only real problem with thiosulfate is that it is very easy to use way too much and drive the FC level down to zero accidentally. But it is generally un-needed. Why get involved in extra complexity you don't need to worry about.

Thanks for the respones... I love this site. I think I'll just keep the wife and kid out for today and then check it tonight when I get home. Hopefully it will drop to something reasonable by tomorrow when the temperature is supposed to be 100 degrees.

Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.