hrfox

Jun 7, 2012
Ellicott City, MD
FC=1.5
CC=0
TA=80
pH=7.2
CYA=40

We had spent a fortune on pool chemicals earlier this spring to try to clear up our (algae first), then cloudy water. Finally drained about 80% of the pool and scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed, vacuumed to waste. Filled with new water, but when the pump was running, we couldn't see below the second rung because of the cloudiness. We always run our brand new pump 24/7, and have checked our filter quite a few times. It never seems to get dirty (beginning to worry me). Have been using the BBB method for a couple weeks now -- yayy!! -- and brought our chemistry under control... but still cloudiness. We had parties all weekend, kids nonstop in the pool, so we turned pump off because of all the splashing water/waves - and lo and behold, perfectly clear water - you could see a pin at the bottom. I was thrilled, but told my hubby I hoped it didn't cloud up again when we turned the pump on. Sure enough, it has. This is such a mystery to us... What could make perfectly clear water when still become very cloudy when moving through the pump/filtration system? We have a cartridge filter, so it is not like a previous time when we had a sand filter with a crack in it. BTW, I know I have to tighten up those numbers above but we simply haven't added our chlorine since the parties. Thanks!!

How long does it take the cloudiness to clear up when you turn off the pump? If it is rather quick, under an hour, then the cloudiness is probably caused by small bubbles in the water that are somehow being injected by the pump. That would happen in rare cases with a SWG, or more commonly if you have an air leak on the suction side of the plumbing that is drawing air into the system. Two common places for an air leak are the pump strainer basket lid and the water level in the skimmer being too low, allowing air to be drawn in by a vortex.

I know I have to tighten up those numbers above but we simply haven't added our chlorine since the parties.
That's a bad practice. Chlorine is the lifeblood of a clear, clean pool.....get your fC up where it needs to be.

What indicators do you look for to tell you it's time to clean the filter? What is the psi on the filter now...pump running, of course.

There wouldn't be a multiport valve on a cartridge filter. I would suspect air bubbles (as mentioned above) or an incorrectly assembled filter (allowing the water to bypass the filter).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.