Ph Too High

MTH3

May 19, 2007
I am a new pool owner. I have a 28,000 gallon concrete pool with a salt system that was plastered a few weeks ago. The salt system has been operating for about a week. In the short time that the pool has been operating, I have not seen a Ph number below 8. I keep adding muriatic acid, but there is no downward movement in the Ph. I understand that newly plastered pools typically have high Ph, but is there anything I can do, or should do, to bring down the Ph? And, if the answer is to add acid, how much and how often. I have been adding anywhere from a couple of pints to a gallon about every other day. Thanks.

The short answer is to keep adding acid. You need to get your pH in the 7's. Have you downloaded bleachcalc? It will tell you roughly how much acid you need to move your pH by .2 (28k pool needs 22oz of acid)

Secondly, how are you testing? Confirm your results with another test kit or test method.

Thanks. I think I saw the bleach calc, but does that help with Ph and acid? I have a kit that probably is not that great that my pool builder gave me. I have been using that and it is very obvious that the Ph is over 8. I also have taken in a sample to a pool store twice and each time they measured it at 8.4.

Yeah, you need to get that pH down. 8+ is troublesome. I'd still get a pool store test or a better test kit and verify that your pH is up that high, If so, (and it probably is) just keep adding acid 'til you get it in a range more acceptable. I'm sure bleachcalc is available on this forum.....find it with a search and download it and use it....it'll calc acid for you.......it's a great tool that I use weekly. :lol:

duraleigh said:
Yeah, you need to get that pH down. 8+ is troublesome. I'd still get a pool store test or a better test kit and verify that your pH is up that high, If so, (and it probably is) just keep adding acid 'til you get it in a range more acceptable. I'm sure bleachcalc is available on this forum.....find it with a search and download it and use it....it'll calc acid for you.......it's a great tool that I use weekly. :lol:

And you need to buy a test kit from this guy!

http://troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=259

would be a wise investment!

Also, post your other numbers. This way the other members can give you advise. Like, your TA has to do alot with PH and how it bounces up and down.

I'm a little concerned on the fact that salt has been added to your pool so early after being plastered. I have read that you should wait a month before adding salt and turning on your SWG. aybe some one can chime in and give input on this and whether you need to be concerned or not.

I have a 24,000 gal plastered pool and after 4 weeks I am still adding acid every other day. I am adding about 40oz of acid per the Bleach Calc to lower .4, My pool usually hovers around 7.8 to 8.0 ph. I have been told to expect this to continue 8weeks to possibly 6 months.

You wrote, "I keep adding muriatic acid, but there is no downward movement in the Ph" How much are you adding and what strength is the acid. (% on the bottle).

Lastly, as eveyone mentioned, get a good test kit. It is simple and well worth the money. It helps me sleep at night knowing that I have total control over my water chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.