Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Considering adding salt to vinyl IG pool for water feel

1. Back To Top    #1

Considering adding salt to vinyl IG pool for water feel

I know it's been covered a lot and I've read a lot here. I have a salt test kit coming. I'm using chrloinator pucks for now to understand demand and raise my CYA a bit. Pool gets all day sun, 10+ hours. There is no SWG.

What I'm asking is should I do this (I know it's a HIGHLY subjective opinion) and how? I know what salt to get, walmart has big bags of pool salt with no additives, but do I have much to gain from it?

FC=7 (trying to figure out how long I can go on pucks without touching it, I test daily)
    CC=0
    CYA=35
    TA=110 (vinyl liner, using pucks for now)
    pH=7.6

Heck, the water feels great right now but if I can soften it a bit I will. I'm in Louisville, KY - we have pretty **** good water.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Considering adding salt to vinyl IG pool for water feel

It is very subjective. Certainly more people prefer the feel after adding salt, but some can't feel any difference and a few don't like it. You can use water softener salt without additives, which is often less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to do baby steps on water softener salt. My folks have had a water softener in their house since I was a little kid 30 years ago (hey kid - hump this 80 pound bag and dump it in).

I know I'm a newbie, but what I've learned from keeping salt water reef tanks is...small steps, test and see what happens.

The water softener salt I'm used to is in marble+ sized chunks. So add and brush them around?
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I just added salt to my pool. I added half of what was recommended, swam for a couple weeks, then added the rest because it was feeling so good. silkier. i used pool salt from menards. it looks like table salt and dissolved in a matter of minutes
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

Solar salt is smaller pieces and dissolve quickly.

Just make sure there are no additives in what you have and brush it around.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

We added salt a couple of weeks ago. I like the feel of it.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

7. Back To Top    #7

Considering adding salt to vinyl IG pool for water feel

I used water softener pellets last year, the kids had fun playing in them
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area