Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Burying PVC for AB pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Burying PVC for AB pool

Hi All,
    We have just ordered our first pool (18 X 40 AG)! It is to be delivered in about 2 weeks and then be installed shortly thereafter. The pump (dual speed), heater (100,000 btu propane), salt generator and sand filter will be about 10 feet from the pool and I am going to start with using the standard above ground plumbing that comes with the install. I will be hard plumbing and burying almost immediately since the pipes will be running in front of my crawl space door.

I am planning on using Schedule 20 2” PVC buried 12” to/from the pool. My question is about the run from the heater. Will there be any issue with running the PVC from the heater? I know that there are issues with running from household hot water heater with PVC since it could soften and cause leaks. I am not sure if the pool heater get’s hot enough to be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Burying PVC for AB pool

Must use schedule 40 not 20.

Fittings on the heater should be CPVC but I think you can use PVC pipe after that.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks jblizzle! No worries on short responses.

Thanks for the update on schedule 40, for some reason I think I knew that but convinced myself that schedule 20 was correct. Are there no concerns with running the hot water from the heater through Sched 40 PVC? I am not sure how hot the water is coming out of the heater, I cant find the temp anywhere, but I believe the max temp for the PVC is in the 120 - 140 degree range and that it can soften and start to come unglued if it gets too hot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Both pools with heaters I have had were plumbed with PVC pipe.

I don't think the water ever gets that hot. A spa should only get up to about 100 degrees before it becomes unsafe.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!