Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer and return installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer and return installation

Looking for thoughts on using just the bare rubber gaskets vs coating them with silicone grease.

Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer and return installation

I installed mine without. I do not think it is common to use silicone on those seals nor should it be needed.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I installed mine without. I do not think it is common to use silicone on those seals nor should it be needed.
    Same here. Mine seems fine as well..
    Intex 15'x48" Metal Frame Pool with a Hydrotools Wide Mount through wall skimmer installed. Intex 2650 Sand Filter and Intex SWG with copper plate unplugged.

4. Back To Top    #4

My PB discarded the seals and used copius amounts of silicone...
    N Virginia
    -Leisure Moroccan 38' Fiberglass
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -1 Skimmer/ 3 Returns/2 Drains/2" Piping
    -3 Fiberstar Pal Treo LED lights/Wirtran
    -TF100 TestKit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnert
    My PB discarded the seals and used copius amounts of silicone...
    That is more common on IGP's like yours, but not on feetr2c's, his is an agp(assuming his avatar picture is of his pool) where he can easily access those connections, and may need to in the future.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Correct... That is my pool in the avatar.

Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just replaced the gaskets on my skimmer and I just used the two white gaskets, one behind the frame on the inside and the other on the outside between the skimmer body and the steel then I cut the hole in the liner. The return was a Hayward return with two black gaskets and chipboard ring. I removed the outside bolt, the chipboard ring and one gasket. I then slide this thru an x cut through the liner and into the wall's hole. I then cut off the excess liner and placed the black gasket, c-board ring and threaded collar and tightened it all up. No leaks, No Silicone caulking.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I did the same just now in a new install at my brothers. A hayward wide mouth skimmer came with what's called a butterfly gasket. It fits the steel wall cutout so there's a layer of rubber on the outside and a layer on the inside BETWEEN the liner and the pool wall. The plastic inner frame then goes directly against the liner and the skimmer body goes against the rubber on the outside, then tighten the screws and cut the liner out. FWIW, I wasn't referring to silicone caulk, but rather silicone grease. I didn't use any, but I do use it on o-rings for the cap on my filter pot just before the pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

OK... I use the lube on my pump basket lid's o-ring also.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by feetr2c
    It fits the steel wall cutout so there's a layer of rubber on the outside and a layer on the inside BETWEEN the liner and the pool wall.
    That's not my understanding of how to use the butterfly gasket, it should be around the wall and the liner.

11. Back To Top    #11

Not possible, given that the cutting out of the liner is the last step of the install. As I see it, having the one side of the butterfly between the liner and wall is excellent insurance against water getting between them.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by feetr2c
    Not possible, given that the cutting out of the liner is the last step of the install. As I see it, having the one side of the butterfly between the liner and wall is excellent insurance against water getting between them.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    For what it's worth my Hydrotools skimmer came with the 2 gaskets as well, but it came with a template and the instructions had you make the cutout as one of the first steps in the install process. The instructions then made a point of stating several times the gasket inside the pool went between the liner and the mouth of the skimmer, the second gasket then went against the outside of the pool and the skimmer body.

Perhaps it's just an individual manufacturer thing and the "right way" depends on them.
    Intex 15'x48" Metal Frame Pool with a Hydrotools Wide Mount through wall skimmer installed. Intex 2650 Sand Filter and Intex SWG with copper plate unplugged.