At wits end

Jun 13, 2012
I have read several posts and I have to say that I have learned alot from this site, and than you. However..I am still a newb that is going crazy. I have a 24'x48" pool, it is not an intex. I purchased an intex 2650 gph pump/filter. I hardpiped everything and had it running fine until yesterday. My psi is at 0, and I have hardly any flow from the return. I backwashed several times, but when I do this it causes the water in the pump to go down and I have to open the lid for it to fill back up with water(the leaf basket), then I recirculate so that the sand settles, and start the filter again. It will do just fine for about 10 minutes, then the flow goes way down.

I have gone through the trouble shooting in the owners manual, and I have read several posts, but I still am unable to get this pump to work right and still have cloudy/greenish water and am ready to just put this thing on craigslist and let someone come get it. I am that frustrated.

As far as the water goes..once we got the pump/filter circulating good, we added shock to out pool..the powder kind. Waiting a few hours..and added another bag of shock..water was still cloudy and greenish color. I put the water on hold until I can get the pump working right since without it it won't really matter anyway.

Any help and/or suggestions will be so appreciated.

Thank you.
Frustrated Dad

I am certainly not an expert here, they will be along shortly, lol.

It souunds to me like you have an air leak between the pool and pump on the suction side, or the water level is not high enough for the skimmer to work properly. Someone else here figured out their water level was causing pretty much the same issue.

See, I was too slow, lol...What Richard said!

The water is coming from a through wall skimmer and is full, only hose is between pump and filter, valve is is filter position.

Will work fine for about 10 minutes then nothing. Should I be having to open the leaf basket to get it to fill up with water after I backwash?

wwhite0310 said:
I don't hear anything. Is there test I can do to see for sure?
Watch in the skimmer for the time it takes to lose prime. You might hear sucking or see a vortex. The drain plugs just need to be snugged with a wrench to be sure they're seated. The O-ring needs to be free of cracks, no dirt or grass stuck to it, and well-lubricated with pool lube. Don't use anything petroleum-based on it, it will probably turn to black mush.

If all that fails, try running a hose around any pipe joints and valves while its running and see if it helps. If it does, that's where air is entering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.