Pool rookie - Aboveground Pool Questions.

TonySe

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks to all that have posted on this site in the past...my wife did our family a "favour" :> and bought an AG pool last year and I'm trying to install it now. I have zero idea what kind of pool it is...I can tell you it the base rails measure 23'7" when laid out and round, the top and bottom rails are metal C channel, the wall is 48" corrugated aluminum and there is an aluminum top cap that goes across the top of the posts with plastic caps. Probably not much help, but hey...

The pool is a 24' sucker that is being installed on what was a 24" grade. I brought in a big shovel on Monday and he got me within 1.5" across the 24'..so far so good.
I got some 10x10 patio pavers and I have bases for the the 17 posts sitting on those. In some areas the bottom rails are 1-2" off the ground though. My plan is to level the pool base (add a 6" radius on the inside at the bottom) and then add the liner.

Q - Can the the bottom of the rails sit on packed sand or do they need to be sitting on something more firm. I know the liner will have a lot of downward force, but the walls transmit a lot of downward force to the bottom rails.

Thanks for any help you can lend,
T.

Sand filter - Can I use masons (brick) sand?

Further to my earlier story, I have a sand filter that's empty. I had 9 tonnes of sand delivered to level the pool base and I expect to have a bunch left over. Can I use this sand in the pool filter or do I need something special for it?

T.

Center drains - are they required?

Yeah...me again :>>>

The pool my wife picked up came with a center filter...in talking with a buddy he said he it was more of a problem then benefit, so I'm wondering if it's mandatory that it get installed. We have a "creepy crawly" to clean the pool, so I'm wondering if the center drain is req'd.

In addition, does anyone have a plumbing schematic that shows how the strainer, pump, filter, auto chlorinator.....are supposed to be hooked up? The used pool that my wife picked up didn't come with any details.

Thanks to any help you can lend,
Tony
a.k.a. pool rookie.

Re: Center drains - are they required?

Welcome to tfp, TonySe :wave:

Do you have freezing temperatures where you live?

I you do (I do), then I wouldn't install the floor drain, since you would need to winterize that every year.

I do not have a floor drain, and have no desire for one, however, there are some on here who insist it simplifies their cleaning a lot (even some in cold climates).

How big is the pool?

Re: Pool rookie Q - bottom rails

TonySe said:
Q - Can the the bottom of the rails sit on packed sand or do they need to be sitting on something more firm.
Something more firm. I used pavers all the way around, but you could also leave undisturbed dirt underneath. Sand is too easy to wash out, so I would not use that.

Re: Center drains - are they required?

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, TonySe :wave:

Do you have freezing temperatures where you live? I you do (I do), then I wouldn't install the floor drain, since you would need to winterize that every year.>>

How big is the pool?

Does it freeze? Oh heck ya...I'm on the same latitude as you, I'm up in Ottawa, Canada.

Pool is 24' round, 48" walls.

T.

Re: Pool rookie Q - bottom rails

linen said:
I used pavers all the way around, but you could also leave undisturbed dirt underneath. Sand is too easy to wash out, so I would not use that.
Sounds good...I'll dig it out a bit more so the bottom is nearly flat and then bury the pavers enough so the rails sit on the ground.

T.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.