Salt Pool With No Free Chlorine

jimbsmith

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
Hanover, PA
I am a new member, and I have some problems with chlorine levels. I recently bought the TF-100 test kit. This is my first year with a salt generator. I can't seem to get some if any FC. I have shocked the pool over a 7 day period with 20+ pounds of shock. Water was cloudy but now is clear. I have also been running the Salt Generator around the clock for 10 Days.
18x36 vinyl pool 20,000 gallons, cartridge filter, aquabot cleaner. Some help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks, jim
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
TA 110
CH 290
CYA 40
Ph 7.2

Welcome!

What generator do you have? What is your salt level?

Try taking a water sample from the return to see if you are producing chlorine.

HTH Super Shock And Swim. Tonight I put in Clorox Bleach. If the SWG's cell is cloudy, is that enough to say it is generating chlorine? I will increase my CYA.
Thank You, Thank You For The Help. It is greatly appreciated.

I put 4lbs of HTH Stabilizer in the pool at 12:15p. I measured the CYA tonight and it increased to about 50. I will check CYA tomorrow again to see if it moves anymore. I will continue to put CYA in as needed. Should I shoot for 80ppm? The SWG is still set at Super Chlor 24 hours a day. I took water from the return using a funnel and hose, there is chlorine. How much chlorine should I see using the Taylor OT chlorine test. It appears to be .5-1, if i let it sit for a couple of minutes it will get more yellow. Is that normal Another thing I didn,t mention is that my CYA was around 65 when the pool was opened up for the summer (5/1), when the pool went cloudy about 10 days ago the CYA was 0. If anybody looked at how clear my water is they would think everything is perfect. That is what is so puzzling to me.
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
TA 110
CH 290
CYA 50
Ph 7.2
Thanks For The Help
jim

Be careful. The granular CYA can take a week to show up on the test.

Not site how your cya could have dropped so much without huge CC numbers.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

We got home from vacation on Saturday and the pool was cloudy. FC 0.0 CC 0.0 TC 0.05 TA 100 CH 370 CYA 40 pH7.3
I set the pump to run 24hr, and put the SWG to 90% and added 3ea. of 182 oz Bottles Of Chlorox. This brought the FC to 15. Sunday morning the water was not as cloudy FC was 3.0. I added 2ea.of 182 oz Bottles Of ULTRA Chlorox FC now 12.5. Monday morning the water was clear.
Monday Evening levels are:
20,000 Gallon In Ground Pool
FC 1.0
CC 0.5
TC 1.5
TA 100
CH 410
CYA 40
pH 7.3

Any suggestions for my next step would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks, jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.