Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally done with a hard pipe and electrical install

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally done with a hard pipe and electrical install

I have been working over the course of several weeks to change my pump and filter hoses to PVC. Also I wanted to install a automatic timer, and also a switch to turn my light on without walking around to the back of the pool. My next project is a deck. I mounted the switch and junction box on the first post of the deck( that's why the switch is so high. Once the deck is done the switch will be the proper height for the deck.) what do you think?[attachment=2:37hb9fpk]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142099.111196.jpg[/attachment:37hb9fpk]
    [attachment=1:37hb9fpk]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142119.245092.jpg[/attachment:37hb9fpk]
    [attachment=0:37hb9fpk]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142138.929563.jpg[/attachment:37hb9fpk]
    24' Sharkline Venture AGP
    1.5HP Hayward Pump and Sand Filter
    Waveglow Jet Thru-wall LED Light

2. Back To Top    #2

Finally done with a hard pipe and electrical install

One more close up of my pump and filter and automatic chlorinator.

[attachment=0:1l439kuw]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340142180.178974.jpg[/attachment:1l439kuw]
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Finally done with a hard pipe and electrical install

You electrical is very close to the pool...it should be greater than 6 feet according to NEC 680 and be gfci protected. Having it as close as you have is dangerous, since someone could lean over while in the pool and touch it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I hate to bring this up, because it looks like you have done a lot of very nice work, however from the pictures it appears that some of electrical equipment has code violations. No underground wiring is allowed within 5 feet horizontally from the water except for a few special cases that don't apply here. Also, if that is an outlet that the pump plugs into, it must be between 6 and 10 feet from the water horizontally. And if that is a time clock and switch, they must be at least 5 feet horizontally from the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So basically what your saying is I need to move those two posts out at least six feet from the wall of the pool?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, and also NEC 680 says your pump's electrical connection wire can only be 3 foot max if it is dis-connectable.

Also, the receptical must the "single locking" type (twist lock) if it is within 10 ft of the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

So how do I go about hardwiring my pump?