Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Replacment motor for Sta Rite Max E GlasII

Replacment motor for Sta Rite Max E GlasII

We've just bought a new home with a pool and recieved our firts electric bill.. OUCH!

So I knew it would cost a bit I jst wasn't prepared for all the other bits..

So Ive begun thing along two lines.. run the motor less time and look for a more efficient motor. Am I correct in that its better (read cheaper) to just replace the motor that the whole pump?

The pump seemes to work just fine I'm just thinking that the motor is aged (unsure about how old I'm guessing several years) and I might "optimize" the system by replacing the orginal motor with a more efficient one.

Using this calculator http://www.pacificparadisesd.com/poo...lc/index.html# I've made some calculations and figure Im runing the pump WAY more than I have to.
    23K gallon in gound pool
    1.5 Hp Sta Rite motor (I cant read the motor spec plate but have determined its a single speed 1.5HP)

So at my current run rate of 6hrs of running I'm filtering about 1.3 total volume/day.. And I calculate that by reducing to 4- 4.5hrs/day I can get to down to near 85%-100% volume/day

Where I'm stuck at is what motor(s) to look at. Can anyone recommend a good efficient motor.. I know that its all relative but what the heck!
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter

Re: Replacment motor for Sta Rite Max E GlasII

Welcome to TFP!

If your electric rates are $0.20/kwh or higher you will probably be better off getting a variable speed pump. If your rates are below $0.20/kwh get a two speed motor. By running a two speed on low for twice as long you can cut your electric bill in half.

There is a good article in Pool School on determining your ideal pump run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Re: Replacment motor for Sta Rite Max E GlasII

Our installation is pretty vanilla.. We've got a spa that runs off the pool pump when the pump is diverterd to the spa. So my concern is primarily the pool and it running time.

Using a variable speed would be great if we had multiple "situations" but we're generally either going to be filtering (99%)or using the spa(1%).

Am I right that using a variable will only provide me with the ability to "fine tune" flow rate while a two speed will generally just be "on full" and something less than full ...1/2 speed". So that if I had a two speed I could use the 1/2 speed for longer and use less power?

A variable rate motor seems to be more than what I need..we dont need the flexability (I dont think) since we're primarily just filtering the water.

Our rates here are on a sliding scale (the more you use the highter the rate) so my focus is to reduce the total power used overall.. which will lower my bill.
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter