Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started shocking, need pointers

1. Back To Top    #1

Started shocking, need pointers

Its been crazy around here. Long story short, My parents Insisted on having professionals come out and open the pool as a sort of housewarming gift. They came out yesterday afternoon and cleaned everything and shocked it with all their industrial chemicals they use. Went from a disgusting green/black pond to a far less disgusting hazy blue.
    Here is where I'm at as of right now
    Fc 1.5
    Cc 2
    Tc 3.5
    Ph 7.5
    Ta 40
    Ch 210
    Cya 0
    This is for an in ground kidney with attached spa, roughly 14,800 gallons.
    Any help finishing shocking would be greatly appreciated. Guess I need to start with stabilizer?
    15k gallon IG kidney pool with attached spa
    plaster
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Started shocking, need pointers

Yep, add enough CYA to raise the level by 30 for the moment. [shock:2ohmshj3]Then continue shocking the pool, assuming CYA is 30.[/shock:2ohmshj3]
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Shocking is an ongoing process that involves raising the FC level to shock level, waiting an hour, and repeating until you pass the overnight FC loss test, CC is 0.5 or lower, and the water is clear.
    As a recent grad of pool school, this point cannot be stressed enough. I essentially wasted a week of time and several jugs of bleach while I was learning the process before I realized the seriousness of the process of shocking. You have to hit it and keep hitting it until you kill it. If you pause for 24 hours, you will be taking steps backwards (and wasting the progress you have made).
    17k gal, Swim Pro Sand filter (Filt. rate 25gpm/ft^2, Flt/BW 80gpm), AG, Vinyl, 1HP Haywood power pro LX pump (60gpm), TF-100 Test kit, Speedstir

Carl Spackler: "You got a pool over there?"
    Ty Webb: "We have a pond in the back. We have a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you."

4. Back To Top    #4

After adding stabilizer, can I immediately start adding bleach or do I need to wait? Do I add enough to take it to 30, then assume its there, and continue with the shock?
    plaster
    sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

You can start adding bleach right away.

Use pool calculator to determine how much bleach is required to reach your shock level based on your CYA target.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you think the pool company added any stabilizer? It can take up to a week to show on tests, so if they just came out yesterday, that is probably why it is not showing up. The only real way to get rid of any measurable CYA is to drain/refill, so I would sure hate for you to end up with double the amount of CYA. Can you call the company to get a list of the products they used? A lot of products called "shock" also contain CYA.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Wizaugh
    After adding stabilizer, can I immediately start adding bleach or do I need to wait? Do I add enough to take it to 30, then assume its there, and continue with the shock?
    Shocking is a process not a chemical. You can shock with powdered chlorine but that will raise CYA which is fine when it's 0. Regular bleach with no additives is the best to shock and maintain your pool, at least until you know how other types of chlorine can affect your pool.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by aa62579
    Do you think the pool company added any stabilizer? It can take up to a week to show on tests, so if they just came out yesterday, that is probably why it is not showing up. The only real way to get rid of any measurable CYA is to drain/refill, so I would sure hate for you to end up with double the amount of CYA. Can you call the company to get a list of the products they used? A lot of products called "shock" also contain CYA.
    Good point. Just called, he said he added 8lbs of shock and 2lbs of baking soda. Said he's not sure what brand the shock was, just that you have to be a dealer to buy it (not sold to the public)
    Would it be safe to assume there was cya in it and add bleach accordingly?
    I understand shocking a process and not a specific chemical. This is just what the pool guy said so that's what I'm quoting him as saying
    plaster
    sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd guess it was trichlor.....I'd bet your cya level is about 35.

Any open bags in the trash anywhere?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    I'd bet it was trichlor.....I'd bet your cya level is about 35.

Any open bags in the trash anywhere?
    He had a full bucket of the stuff he scooped out of. They didn't leave any trash
    plaster
    sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Not sold to the public, you just have to go to the Leslie's Commercial to get it. And it turns out it's the same thing.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Wizaugh
    Quote Originally Posted by aa62579
    Good point. Just called, he said he added 8lbs of shock and 2lbs of baking soda. Said he's not sure what brand the shock was, just that you have to be a dealer to buy it (not sold to the public)
    Would it be safe to assume there was cya in it and add bleach accordingly?
    I wouldn't assume that, and even if so, I don't think you could necessarily guess how much of the product constituted CYA. I think you should press him to find out what he added. If a company charges you for a product, they should be able to tell you what it is. If he knows that it is a special brand only available to a dealer, he probably knows what is in it.
    33,000 gallon plaster pool
    Jandy L-Series -CL580 Cartridge Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Unfortunately he's out on the road for the rest of the week. The best I can get from him is he got it from the local SCP and it was $150 for a bucket. http://www.scppool.com
    plaster
    sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I guess it could be Cal-Hypo. Did your CH level go up by about 20 today??

15. Back To Top    #15

If your CH did go up by 20, that's not a bad thing for your pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Ch last weekend was 220, it's 210 now
    plaster
    sand filter

17. Back To Top    #17

So it had to be chlorine with CYA.

18. Back To Top    #18

I'd bet too that it had CYA in it. There is one other item, lithium shock, that doesn't add CYA that he MAY have used. Often it's not used however due to it's cost.

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 14470.html

19. Back To Top    #19

Ph last weekend was 8.2. Now it's 7.5. That proves cya was added, correct?
    Just to make sure I have this right, I need 353oz of bleach to bring my FC to shock level (13) correct? Then add as needed to keep it at 13?
    plaster
    sand filter

20. Back To Top    #20

That's a good point about PH. Adding that much shock would lower your PH into the 5's?? Maybe it was cal-hypo or maybe dichlor.??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast