Hayward ST160 Sand Filter Manual

Jimbow

May 15, 2012
Central PA
I just purchased a used 18' JW pool with a Hayward ST160 sand filter. This is our first pool and I have no idea what I'm doing (although that never stopped me before) I have no idea how old this system is but the pool seemed in good shape. I’m putting a new liner in since the old liner had some hard areas with major wrinkles. What I am looking for is where to find a user manual. I checked Google and found a parts diagram but couldn’t find any manual. Even Hayward’s site doesn’t list it. I’m guessing this thing’s pretty old. Does anyone know where I could find one? The guy I got the system from said to remove the bolts to change the sand but I don’t even know how much to get. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

My mistake, I looked closer and it is a S160. I wanted to read the manual so I would know how to take care of it. How often the sand should be changed, what to look for as far as troubleshooting, how to operate it, etc. I would guess these are all pretty similar, but never having a pool, I really don't know what I should be doing.

Jimbow said:
How often the sand should be changed
In most cases, never...the prevailing opinion on here (mine as well) is it doesn't "wear out". Two exceptions I can think of. One, if you do not know you have the correct sand volume, then removing and replacing with a known amount might make sense. Secondly, if you sand has become heavily calcified, so that it has a propensity to channel and reduce filter efficiency.

Jimbow said:
what to look for as far as troubleshooting
Any specific problems you are having?

Jimbow said:
how to operate it
Always switch the pump off before changing valve position. Backwash setting send pool water backwards through filter, removing most of the captured solids and sends it out the waste port. Run in backwash until your sight glass goes clear, often takes 1-2 minutes. Then before going back to the filter position, run in the Rinse position until the sight glass goes clear again (usually 30-60 seconds). This clears the multiport valve of debris and resettles the sand bed. Finally, return to the filter position. Much of this information is the same for you filter as it would be for say the S116T I linked to earlier.

Post any other questions you may have!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.