Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward ST160 Sand Filter Manual

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward ST160 Sand Filter Manual

I just purchased a used 18' JW pool with a Hayward ST160 sand filter. This is our first pool and I have no idea what I'm doing (although that never stopped me before) I have no idea how old this system is but the pool seemed in good shape. Iím putting a new liner in since the old liner had some hard areas with major wrinkles. What I am looking for is where to find a user manual. I checked Google and found a parts diagram but couldnít find any manual. Even Haywardís site doesnít list it. Iím guessing this thingís pretty old. Does anyone know where I could find one? The guy I got the system from said to remove the bolts to change the sand but I donít even know how much to get. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    18' AGP JW Pool
    Hayward S160 Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward ST160 Sand Filter Manual

Welcome to tfp, Jimbow

I am not familiar with that Hayward model, nor have I been able to find anything online about it. Could you post a picture of it and a close up of the label?

Just guessing it is a 16" filter, so the sand requirements may be similar to the S116T. It's manual is here: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/manual50.pdf
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm at work right now but here is a link that shows the filter I have.

www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_Hayward_S160T.htm
    18' AGP JW Pool
    Hayward S160 Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Ahh, S160T...not ST160...you might want to change your title. All that I can find on hayward's site is this: http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/repla...155Hay2009.pdf which is a parts list similar to the poolcenter link.

So if we can not find the manual, what do you need to know?

I was able to find that the S160T takes 150 lbs of sand.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

My mistake, I looked closer and it is a S160. I wanted to read the manual so I would know how to take care of it. How often the sand should be changed, what to look for as far as troubleshooting, how to operate it, etc. I would guess these are all pretty similar, but never having a pool, I really don't know what I should be doing.
    18' AGP JW Pool
    Hayward S160 Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbow
    How often the sand should be changed
    In most cases, never...the prevailing opinion on here (mine as well) is it doesn't "wear out". Two exceptions I can think of. One, if you do not know you have the correct sand volume, then removing and replacing with a known amount might make sense. Secondly, if you sand has become heavily calcified, so that it has a propensity to channel and reduce filter efficiency.

what to look for as far as troubleshooting
    Any specific problems you are having?

how to operate it
    Always switch the pump off before changing valve position. Backwash setting send pool water backwards through filter, removing most of the captured solids and sends it out the waste port. Run in backwash until your sight glass goes clear, often takes 1-2 minutes. Then before going back to the filter position, run in the Rinse position until the sight glass goes clear again (usually 30-60 seconds). This clears the multiport valve of debris and resettles the sand bed. Finally, return to the filter position. Much of this information is the same for you filter as it would be for say the S116T I linked to earlier.

Post any other questions you may have!