Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got the green stuff...

1. Back To Top    #1

Got the green stuff...

...but it's not too bad. YET! I want to nip it, but I may have screwed up. I looked at the control panel Sunday and it said my salt was at 2200. I thought that was low, so I added 4 bags of salt. I know, I know. I now realize that was WAY too much because the control panel says "High salt" and I can actually taste salt in the water! So now I'm draining the pool to approx half way so I can start over again, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right!

I have Hayward plumbing with an Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator on my system (Pentair Intellitouch System i5). There's a spigot right before the input to the 4 large filters in the filter tower (sorry if I use the wrong terminology, but I have NO clue what I'm doing). Anyway, there's a tag on it that says "reclaimed, recycled water. Do not drink". I've got a hose hooked up to that and the pool is draining to the street. I also have the filter pump turned on and the vacuum is moving around the pool like normal, and the jacuzzi is spilling into the pool. I turned off the water supply valve so no more water will go into the pool, so I think I have it right?

All comments will be MORE than welcome by the way.

Ed
    1) Pool built 2005, approx 17k gallons (Click HERE for a picture of this money pit!)
    2) Equipment: Pentair Intelli-Touch System i5, Pentair MiniMax NTLN Model 400DV Heater, Pentair CCP520 4 Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite 6D22 Chlorine Generator, Turbo-Cell T-Cell-15
    3) Pumps: Pool - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-8 (2 HP), Spa - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 (1.5 HP), Water Fall - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-3 (.75 HP), Vacuum: Hayward Navigator 925C

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Got the green stuff...

Amazing how different people are when it comes to salt taste. I could taste mine at 1500ppm.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Got the green stuff...

We had a kid tell us ours tasted like sweat, lol
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    K-2006 Test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, I've gotten rid of the algea and it seems I'm pretty good on with the readings, but here's what I have as of today so any comments would be welcome.

Total Chlorine ---- 1.0 (min 1.0 - max 3.0) within specs, but seems a little low to me
    Free Chlorine ----- 1.0 (min 1.0 - max 3.0) within specs, but again, seems a little low to me
    pH --------------- 8.4 (min 7.2 - max 7.6) I've added 1 gallon of muriatic acid to bring this down a little
    Total alkalinity ---- 90 (min 80 - max 120) looks good
    Calcium hardness - 325 (min 200 - max 400) looks good
    Stabilizer --------- 30 (min 30 - max 100) within specs, but is this too low?
    Salt ------------ 3000 (min 2800 - max 3200) looks good

So going by the above, should I do anything about the chlorine and the stabilizer?

Ed
    1) Pool built 2005, approx 17k gallons (Click HERE for a picture of this money pit!)
    2) Equipment: Pentair Intelli-Touch System i5, Pentair MiniMax NTLN Model 400DV Heater, Pentair CCP520 4 Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite 6D22 Chlorine Generator, Turbo-Cell T-Cell-15
    3) Pumps: Pool - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-8 (2 HP), Spa - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 (1.5 HP), Water Fall - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-3 (.75 HP), Vacuum: Hayward Navigator 925C

5. Back To Top    #5

Seems like your cya is low for a swg pool it should be around 70 I think, also your fc is low for your cya.....go look at the chlorine/ cya chart for swg pools in pool school....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

6. Back To Top    #6

Cya should be between. 60 to 80 ppm
    Min fc level 3 ppm
    Target fc level 5 ppm
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all