How long should pump run

Welcome to TFP.

Some people run their pumps 24/7 and don't have a problem. It's ususally not needed to keep the pool clean and it uses a lot of electricity. People use a timer to save electricity.

By putting your pump on a timer you can save a good but and still keep your pool clean.

bobodaclown said:
There's lots of great info in pool school. The link is on the top of the page just right of center. Here's some info for you: pool-school/pump_run_time

Went to this link & still have some questions, is it beneficial to run a pumping interval say like 6 hrs on 6 hrs off logic being that it would allow for debris to settle to bottom for collection when vacuuming?

Also I'm in Deep South on the MS Gulf Coast LOTS of sun, so I'm thinking preferred run time would be during day when sun is working on the chlorine evaporation.

Tim

Hello Tim,
Do you have metered rates (day/night cheaper) if not, and you don't have a SWCG, then I recommend centering the time around when you swim. OOPS. Just saw the SWCG installed.
With a SWCG, run it during the daylight hours to replace/maintain the chlorine level in the pool. If you run your pump less, you'll have to increase the output of the SWCG, and vice versa. It will take some time to dial it in.

As far as settling, I feel that's personal preference. I hope my skimmer get it before it sinks to the bottom. It's easier to empty the skimmer basket, then run the robot cleaner. I run my robot cleaner ever few days either way. And skim in the morning.

Hope that answers/addresses your concerns.

Thanks for the reply Bob, the SWCG is no longer in service (note to self need to change signature information), parts to repair it cost as much as a new SWCG, since becoming a member here learning in/out of water chem have found proper "care & feeding/testing" are all that is really necessary anyway with traditional old school water treatment.

Actually the SWCG was bought to make things simpler for the wife since as a roving field engineer I do spend a lot of time away.

When the SWCG was working it was easier for her "set & forget" ......almost; but still requires daily monitoring/testing so I said what the heck when it died might as well go back to traditional treatment.

I educated her on BBB and she's getting hang of it, still relies on "pool store" recommendations too much when things get away from her, but a work in progress with regard to pool chemistry :mrgreen: currently at tail end of a algae bloom recovery and was thinking now that instead of a 24 hr pump run would look at a split day operation.

Summer peak rates apply for our power and was looking to maybe get some discounting by running "off-peak" pump routine, but did not want to set myself up for even more cost in long run if pool chem gets away from her, and I wind up buying extra chems and pump circulation to clean up the pool.

She still hasn't gotten hang of looking for the "shine" in the water vs. it "looks clear" especially when pump is constant running and you can't see as well past the circulating water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.