I am at 0 FCC almost every other day

Zoesam

Jun 19, 2012
I am at 0 FCC almost every other day. Pool in direct sun from 8am to 5 pm. TA at 130, andpH around 7.2 - 7.4. Had a "phosphate" problem last year. Have the SWG at 100%. Pool is clear but dull, not crisp. Using liquid chlorine, and a lot of it.

Please post a complete set of water test results, especially your CYA level. Also, what does your water look like?

SWGs are very sensitive to the CYA level.

By the by, phosphates are blamed for a lot of problems that have nothing to do with them, usually as a way for pool stores to sell you expensive products that you don't need.

TA 140
pH 7.6
FC 0
TC .5
CYA 35-40
Calcium 260

Pool is clear but dull, SWG at 80%.

Until I started reading posts on this site I did not know the CYA should be higher. Could that be the issue?

Well CYA is part of your issue.

The other is the fact FC keeps getting too low so you probably have stuff growing and need to go through the shock process (which is easier BEFORE you raise the CYA )

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thanks, last question, based on the charts I need to get the shock FC to about 14. Assuming that is ppm using a 12% solution would be about 2 gallons of shock. Usually not this dumb, just want to get this right, fought this problem all last year and just kept getting the run around from the "experts".

I'm a newbie but agree on going through the shock "process". It's not a "poor in some stuff and see what happens", it's maintaining FC levels to kill everything that your FC can't keep up with, monitoring constantly to keep your FC up. Part of that is turning off the SWG and shocking constantly with bleach/liquid chlorine.

The mods/admin's have it right - you need to follow the shock "process" and have a good test kit to stay on top of it. It will be a constant process/measurement to be performed at least a few times a day, if not more.

Again - I'm a newb, so take my post for what it's worth. You need to totally kill what your FC can't keep up with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Zoesam said:
Thanks, last question, based on the charts I need to get the shock FC to about 14. Assuming that is ppm using a 12% solution would be about 2 gallons of shock. Usually not this dumb, just want to get this right, fought this problem all last year and just kept getting the run around from the "experts".

You can use the pool calculator to determine how much chlorine you need to add. The detail area of the FC section will have a drop down list where you can change the % strength of the bleach/chlorine you want to use. Complete the "now" column with current test results and the "target" column with numbers you want to reach.

Zoesam said:

Zoesam...The only real experts are the people here...especially those that have been around along time...and the moderators...I have been around a long time...but I am no where near the expert as many...The moderators here know more than any pool store salesman. I have a friend who's parents have been taken in by the pool guy's sales pitch on Baquacil...and how it is safer for young kids, and it won't cause your liner to fade... :blah: :blah: :blah:

The only thing they have learned from their experience is in the past 11 days when it has been in the 90s here...they haven't been able to use their Baqua Pool, because it is GREEN!...They are taking my advice and converting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.