Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I am at 0 FCC almost every other day

1. Back To Top    #1

I am at 0 FCC almost every other day

I am at 0 FCC almost every other day. Pool in direct sun from 8am to 5 pm. TA at 130, andpH around 7.2 - 7.4. Had a "phosphate" problem last year. Have the SWG at 100%. Pool is clear but dull, not crisp. Using liquid chlorine, and a lot of it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I am at 0 FCC almost every other day

Please post a complete set of water test results, especially your CYA level. Also, what does your water look like?

SWGs are very sensitive to the CYA level.

By the by, phosphates are blamed for a lot of problems that have nothing to do with them, usually as a way for pool stores to sell you expensive products that you don't need.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you're at zero FCC, it probably means you need to renew your Ham Radio License!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

4. Back To Top    #4

TA 140
    pH 7.6
    FC 0
    TC .5
    CYA 35-40
    Calcium 260

Pool is clear but dull, SWG at 80%.

Until I started reading posts on this site I did not know the CYA should be higher. Could that be the issue?

5. Back To Top    #5

Well CYA is part of your issue.

The other is the fact FC keeps getting too low so you probably have stuff growing and need to go through the shock process (which is easier BEFORE you raise the CYA )

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

What do you consider shock process? Two gallons of liquid chlorine or more? What about lowering the TA?

7. Back To Top    #7

[shock:1pdnsepm][/shock:1pdnsepm]
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Zoesam
    What do you consider shock process? Two gallons of liquid chlorine or more? What about lowering the TA?
    Please read Shocking your pool for more information on the shock process.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, last question, based on the charts I need to get the shock FC to about 14. Assuming that is ppm using a 12% solution would be about 2 gallons of shock. Usually not this dumb, just want to get this right, fought this problem all last year and just kept getting the run around from the "experts".

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm a newbie but agree on going through the shock "process". It's not a "poor in some stuff and see what happens", it's maintaining FC levels to kill everything that your FC can't keep up with, monitoring constantly to keep your FC up. Part of that is turning off the SWG and shocking constantly with bleach/liquid chlorine.

The mods/admin's have it right - you need to follow the shock "process" and have a good test kit to stay on top of it. It will be a constant process/measurement to be performed at least a few times a day, if not more.

Again - I'm a newb, so take my post for what it's worth. You need to totally kill what your FC can't keep up with.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks, last question, based on the charts I need to get the shock FC to about 14. Assuming that is ppm using a 12% solution would be about 2 gallons of shock. Usually not this dumb, just want to get this right, fought this problem all last year and just kept getting the run around from the "experts".

You can use the pool calculator to determine how much chlorine you need to add. The detail area of the FC section will have a drop down list where you can change the % strength of the bleach/chlorine you want to use. Complete the "now" column with current test results and the "target" column with numbers you want to reach.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Zoesam...The only real experts are the people here...especially those that have been around along time...and the moderators...I have been around a long time...but I am no where near the expert as many...The moderators here know more than any pool store salesman. I have a friend who's parents have been taken in by the pool guy's sales pitch on Baquacil...and how it is safer for young kids, and it won't cause your liner to fade...

The only thing they have learned from their experience is in the past 11 days when it has been in the 90s here...they haven't been able to use their Baqua Pool, because it is GREEN!...They are taking my advice and converting.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

Agreed, I have learned more in one week on this site than I did in the three years we have had the pool.