Deck jet install

kyle11

May 17, 2012
I am looking at installing deck jets during a new build and had a few Questions.

1. From reading the instructions for installation it says 1 1/2 pipe is recommended with 4 jets but it has to be reduced to 3/4 at the jet. I am doing a loop, should the loop be 1 1/2 or 3/4? I was thinking 1 1/2 with a 3/4 tee at each jet

2. Do these lines need to be buried or can they be set on top of the ground around the pool and concrete be poured over the top of them?

3. If concrete is being poured 4" thick should I have the PVC come up 6-7 inches and when the concrete dries cut it down flush with the deck then glue the jet to the PVC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 4 deck jets my self. They are installed into the concrete and have had no issues with them. I do recommend putting only 2 on each run of pipe. When you do more than 2- they all seem to get different amounts of pressure. Also, having 2 valves at the pad makes it much easier to adjust hight.

tatertot09 said:
I have 4 deck jets my self. They are installed into the concrete and have had no issues with them. I do recommend putting only 2 on each run of pipe. When you do more than 2- they all seem to get different amounts of pressure. Also, having 2 valves at the pad makes it much easier to adjust hight.

Did you install them? I am really wondering about the PVC that connects to the deck jet assembly. I would imagine you leave so much poked out of the ground, pour concrete and when the concrete cures just cut it flush but have not been able to verify that.

Bury the loop on top of your bond beam at the base of the wall. Plumb to the bottom of the jet housing and set it to the grade of your concrete BEFORE the deck is poured. If you run them off of a continuous loop they should maintain a pretty even height

swimcmp said:
Bury the loop on top of your bond beam at the base of the wall. Plumb to the bottom of the jet housing and set it to the grade of your concrete BEFORE the deck is poured. If you run them off of a continuous loop they should maintain a pretty even height

Ok thanks for the help. When would you reduce down to 3/4? The whole loop or just the part that goes up and attaches to the jet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully, this thread is still alive... I am getting ready to build my own pool (owner-builder), and in talking with the plumbing contractor, he said he preferred to run a separate 3/4" line for each deck jet, as he says it is difficult to get the jets adjusted evenly even when they are run on a loop. The pool we are building rises out of the ground ~10-12", and has no decking. Instead we are installing 30" square paver pads with 3-4" of grass in between the pavers and between the pool and the pavers. As such, we want to install the deck jets in the bond beam. Is this an acceptable practice? I assume that PVC will be run on the outside of the bond beam, then run up through the bond beam where each jet will go? Thoughts / advice appreciated. If this is not an acceptable practice, we could just install Pentair aerators on the inside of the bond beam, but I have not seen these in action, so probably prefer the deck jets.
Thanks,
Bobj.

Thanks Swimcmp. If I understand you correctly, I think you are assuming the bond beam will be under coping that is flush with the deck, and the plumbing should then be placed on top of the bond beam, but below the coping? If this is correct, it sounds like the deck jets might not work out or I will have to find a way to mount them in the ground. We will have a raised bond beam around ~1/2 the pool, due to the negative slope in the yard (as high as 12" out of the ground on the back side). We have considered building a retaining wall so we can backfill against the pool wall (raise the yard) so that the coping is ~2" above ground level, but we will still have no deck, in the normal sense of concrete up to the edge of the coping. We will basically have grass next to the pool, with concrete stepping stones around the pool and grass borders between each stepping stone (~18" x 24" rectangular pads). I am assuming the pads will not be stable enough to mount deck jets in (think of them as really big pavers on top of gravel bed), so I was hoping I could mount the deck jets in the bond beam. Wasn't sure if this was an acceptable practice as the plumbing might make too bid a void in the bond beam. Based on you recommending an approach to keep the plumbing out of the bond beam, I am guessing this running the plumbing in the bond beam is a bad idea?

Thanks
bobj.

Yes, we are building a gunite pool. Looks like we may need to install some minimal decking in order to get these installed correctly. Not what I was hoping for, but I want this to be done right to minimize problems down the road.

Thanks,
Bobj.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.