New AG Pool Owner - First timer - Some questions

Jun 19, 2012
Long Island, NY
Hi All,

First time pool owner, the info is in my signature as well but I purchased this -> http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/home ... 911eb.html

The pool should be here in time for the weekend to get everything setup. I also ordered the following after reading the pool school:

TAYLOR K-2006 Pool Test Kit - Overkill for me perhaps, but since it got great reviews I went with it.
INTEX Pool Easy Set Filter Cartridge Type A - bought a 12 pack, they are cheap in price and from what I read, cheaply made as well. From what I was reading on the site you can re-use them if your careful but they should be cleaned almost every other day? and replaced every two weeks?
Kem-Tek Algaecide
Kem-Tek Shock / Dichlor
Kem-Tek Chlorine Stabilizer / CYA
Ph Control Kit - Up / Down

Anyways, just a little background. I jumped on this pool because I wanted something fairly low cost to see if I'm a "pool guy". The barrier to entry for this is pretty low, and rather then spending a ton of money on a nice AG, this is a good way for me to see if the family will use it. I figure if I get 2 years of good use then I'll consider upgrading to something more permanent.

From what I have been reading the filter is Crud and low volume (1000 GPH). However, it seems like it can do the job if you keep up with maintenance. I'd really appreciate any tips or links to tips on how to keep this pool clean and clear.

*The Pool School pretty much answered these questions* My main question is what exactly should I do after I fill this pool up. As noted above I did buy some testing strips and chlorine. I will get the water tested at the local pool place as well after its setup if needed. The intex site states that its roughly 3700 gallons of water, what should I do for the first fill as far as chlorine (or any other chemicals?).

Thanks in advance for the help.

*** Update ***

My "Beta" plan for the pool start-up. And revised what I ordered... good thing I found this site before my order left from Amazon! Thanks for the quick pointers too.

Based on the # of gallons 3736 I'm going to add ~46oz of 6% bleach to bring up the levels to 6 ppm.
Test after an hour see where I am... then the next 4 days test and add the Dichlor....
After that 4th day make sure the CYA is @ 30 and Chlorine is at around 4 and PH is around 7.4
Test daily.. Rinse and repeat?

Sound good?

K2006 is not overkill! I promise you will end up loving it.
I think it's Bugabog (bogabug?) or maybe someone else that has intimate knowledge of those filters. There's something about some carts from WalMart that have pink dots on them, instead of what is referred to as "dryer sheet material" standard Intex filters. I've heard they work better. Need them to chime in! Also, I've read that a skimmer sock helps a lot with those Intex filters. Keep in mind I have no first hand knowledge of these filters, just passing along what I've read.
You should not need that "shock" or dichlor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I upgraded my pool to a permanent above ground with a sand filter (from a 12' blow up intex with that cartridge). However, I did upgrade my neighbors 16' intex pool with intex cartridge to the 1600 gph intex sand filter and that has worked great for him since he had to clear his pool of algae once again this year :hammer: ...wasn't the filters fault.

There are reports that if the price is right, the 2650 intex sand filter is even better...I think because of the ability to vacuum more efficiently.?

Another approach would be to look on craigslist for a used filter, though you kind of need to know what you are looking at to judge the fit to your pool and the condition of the filter.

I'm going to hold off on a pump upgrade for now. If I keep on top of things I should be OK? Perhaps if there is a sale on one of those sand filters I'll consider it...

The price difference between the 1600 and that 2650 is pretty small.. That 2650 looks real nice.

Found that 2650 for 199 on ebay... If after a week or two this stock filter doesn't work I'll grab it. After reading some reviews it seems like people, for the most part, really like it. It would be a little bit of an overkill for my setup, but then again i wouldn't have to run it all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.