Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New AG Pool Owner - First timer - Some questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New AG Pool Owner - First timer - Some questions

Hi All,

First time pool owner, the info is in my signature as well but I purchased this -> http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/home ... 911eb.html

The pool should be here in time for the weekend to get everything setup. I also ordered the following after reading the pool school:

TAYLOR K-2006 Pool Test Kit - Overkill for me perhaps, but since it got great reviews I went with it.
    INTEX Pool Easy Set Filter Cartridge Type A - bought a 12 pack, they are cheap in price and from what I read, cheaply made as well. From what I was reading on the site you can re-use them if your careful but they should be cleaned almost every other day? and replaced every two weeks?
    Kem-Tek Algaecide
    Kem-Tek Shock / Dichlor
    Kem-Tek Chlorine Stabilizer / CYA
    Ph Control Kit - Up / Down

Anyways, just a little background. I jumped on this pool because I wanted something fairly low cost to see if I'm a "pool guy". The barrier to entry for this is pretty low, and rather then spending a ton of money on a nice AG, this is a good way for me to see if the family will use it. I figure if I get 2 years of good use then I'll consider upgrading to something more permanent.

From what I have been reading the filter is **** and low volume (1000 GPH). However, it seems like it can do the job if you keep up with maintenance. I'd really appreciate any tips or links to tips on how to keep this pool clean and clear.

*The Pool School pretty much answered these questions* My main question is what exactly should I do after I fill this pool up. As noted above I did buy some testing strips and chlorine. I will get the water tested at the local pool place as well after its setup if needed. The intex site states that its roughly 3700 gallons of water, what should I do for the first fill as far as chlorine (or any other chemicals?).

Thanks in advance for the help.

*** Update ***

My "Beta" plan for the pool start-up. And revised what I ordered... good thing I found this site before my order left from Amazon! Thanks for the quick pointers too.

Based on the # of gallons 3736 I'm going to add ~46oz of 6% bleach to bring up the levels to 6 ppm.
    Test after an hour see where I am... then the next 4 days test and add the Dichlor....
    After that 4th day make sure the CYA is @ 30 and Chlorine is at around 4 and PH is around 7.4
    Test daily.. Rinse and repeat?

Sound good?
    Thanks - John
    Pool: Sharkline Matrix 18 Round 54 Deep
    Pool Size: ~8200 Gallons
    Filter Type: Sand
    Pump: Intex 2650

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New AG Pool Owner - First timer - Some questions

Start at Pool School at the top right corner of this page. You should probably start with Beginners Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just started reading that. Wish I saw this site before I ordered the testing strips!

"No strips - they aren't accurate."

** Edit - Was able to cancel the strips.. Updated OP.
    Thanks - John

4. Back To Top    #4

Right, and your pucks are going to add CYA to your pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Right, and your pucks are going to add CYA to your pool.
    Thats a good thing from what I'm reading so far right?
    Thanks - John

6. Back To Top    #6

To a point. Just don't let it get too high, learn how much they add to your pool and when to stop.

7. Back To Top    #7

I understand...

Updating my original post with my "beta" plan.
    Thanks - John

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok updated my plan and what I bought.
    Thanks - John

9. Back To Top    #9

K2006 is not overkill! I promise you will end up loving it.
    I think it's Bugabog (bogabug?) or maybe someone else that has intimate knowledge of those filters. There's something about some carts from WalMart that have pink dots on them, instead of what is referred to as "dryer sheet material" standard Intex filters. I've heard they work better. Need them to chime in! Also, I've read that a skimmer sock helps a lot with those Intex filters. Keep in mind I have no first hand knowledge of these filters, just passing along what I've read.
    You should not need that "shock" or dichlor.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I think it's Bugabog (bogabug?) or maybe someone else that has intimate knowledge of those filters.
    Frogabog, though your names are funny

My opinion on the Intex cartridge filters is not very good. Many, if not most intex owners upgrade quite quickly.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

LMAO! You are right! Working in front of a computer all day, taking calls, etc., takes a toll on my brain. IRRC Frogabog is a SHE, and she's the expert on those filters!

12. Back To Top    #12

What do you guys upgrade to?
    Thanks - John

13. Back To Top    #13

Well I upgraded my pool to a permanent above ground with a sand filter (from a 12' blow up intex with that cartridge). However, I did upgrade my neighbors 16' intex pool with intex cartridge to the 1600 gph intex sand filter and that has worked great for him since he had to clear his pool of algae once again this year ...wasn't the filters fault.

There are reports that if the price is right, the 2650 intex sand filter is even better...I think because of the ability to vacuum more efficiently.?

Another approach would be to look on craigslist for a used filter, though you kind of need to know what you are looking at to judge the fit to your pool and the condition of the filter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm going to hold off on a pump upgrade for now. If I keep on top of things I should be OK? Perhaps if there is a sale on one of those sand filters I'll consider it...

The price difference between the 1600 and that 2650 is pretty small.. That 2650 looks real nice.
    Thanks - John

15. Back To Top    #15

Your pump should be fine. If your filters don't keep up, look into those walmart filters and a skimmer sock for now.

16. Back To Top    #16

Will do, going to pick up those socks. If I have issues in a week or two I'll upgrade the pump/filter i guess.
    Thanks - John

17. Back To Top    #17

So is 4 a good FC level I should pretty much always aim for?
    Thanks - John

18. Back To Top    #18

Found that 2650 for 199 on ebay... If after a week or two this stock filter doesn't work I'll grab it. After reading some reviews it seems like people, for the most part, really like it. It would be a little bit of an overkill for my setup, but then again i wouldn't have to run it all the time.
    Thanks - John

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by burmjohn
    So is 4 a good FC level I should pretty much always aim for?
    With a cya of 40 ppm, you range is 3 to 7, so I would raise it to 7 each night and see where you are the night after.

20. Back To Top    #20

I started with the same type of pool that you have. I quickly upgraded to a sand filter and immediately noticed the difference.
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast