Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Other chemicals besides BBB

Other chemicals besides BBB

What other chemicals do you use outside of bleach, Borax, and baking soda?

I know Muratic acid to reduce pH and even stabilizer for CYA, but what about others?

And what is your opinion and advice on using clarifier? I'm using some Leslie's UltraBrite while in the final stages of my current shock process hoping it will help with the filtering. Am I wasting my money?
    17 x 32 feet in-ground - 22,500 gallons - Vinyl liner
    Haywood sand filter (Model TBD) - Pump (TBD)
    Hot Spring spa
    Total noob...

Re: Other chemicals besides BBB

95% of the time clarifier is a waste of money. The remaining 5% of the time is easy to spot since when clarifier works it clears the water up completely overnight.

Don't assume you will necessarily use all three of bleach baking soda and borax. Many people only use one or two of those.

Cyanuric acid is another common chemical you need.

Sequestrant is occasionally required, but only when you have metals problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Re: Other chemicals besides BBB

I feel that it purchasing the ultrabrite would be a waste of money. What does it do? If you want to filter finer particles add some DE or synthetic DE to the skimmer. It only stays in the filter till you back wash.
    pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CPX36, SmartPool Nitro SmartKleen NC22 robotic pool cleaner, Lakeland Florida