Feb 13, 2012
Please explain this plumbing to me.

The left valve controls suction. The more left the valve, the more the skimmer works.

The right valve controls return. Turned left the whips operate, turned right the wall returns operate.

When the left valve is turned right and the right valve is turned left, nothing works and the psi drops from 20 to 12.

I checked to make sure the valve handles were properly attached, pointing in the right direction, they are.

2wghnpt.jpg

Justice Distributor said:
Please explain this plumbing to me.

The left valve controls suction. The more left the valve, the more the skimmer works.

The right valve controls return. Turned left the whips operate, turned right the wall returns operate.

When the left valve is turned right and the right valve is turned left, nothing works and the psi drops from 20 to 12.

I checked to make sure the valve handles were properly attached, pointing in the right direction, they are.

2wghnpt.jpg
You have something figured wrong here. The only place suction and return meet is at the pump, not in a Tee in the plumbing.

The way I see it, that middle pipe can either be a suction or a return depending on how you set the valves. If you turn them both toward the center you're just recircing water from the discharge to the suction of the pump.

I believe that the middle pipe is setup so it can be either a suction or a return line.

If I am correct, one of the two left hand pipes is skimmer and the other is pump intake. On the right, one of the two would be filter and the other returns. Than leaves the middle pipe to be "whips" whatever they are.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have never seen the pics of the whips before. My pool built in the 70s has the returns for them, but I use the 4 eyeball return path instead.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I discovered the reason for why the pool plumbing is the way it is.

The whips are supposed to be retractable. The suction is supposed to suck the whips back into the plumbing.

It does not work for me. It could be because so many of the whips are missing.

The whips do not look like the ones in the pictures I posted earlier, they are simply smooth rubber hoses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.