Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Circular Logic

1. Back To Top    #1

Circular Logic

Please explain this plumbing to me.

The left valve controls suction. The more left the valve, the more the skimmer works.

The right valve controls return. Turned left the whips operate, turned right the wall returns operate.

When the left valve is turned right and the right valve is turned left, nothing works and the psi drops from 20 to 12.

I checked to make sure the valve handles were properly attached, pointing in the right direction, they are.

29K gallon rectangle, vinyl, Hayward Sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus robotic vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Circular Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Justice Distributor
    Please explain this plumbing to me.

The left valve controls suction. The more left the valve, the more the skimmer works.

The right valve controls return. Turned left the whips operate, turned right the wall returns operate.

When the left valve is turned right and the right valve is turned left, nothing works and the psi drops from 20 to 12.

I checked to make sure the valve handles were properly attached, pointing in the right direction, they are.

You have something figured wrong here. The only place suction and return meet is at the pump, not in a Tee in the plumbing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

What's written on top of the piping? I can't make it out in the picture.

What does the horizontal valve control?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It's my writing, ignore it.

I don't know what the horizontal valve does, it was hard to move and I didn't want to break something. I will try it later
    29K gallon rectangle, vinyl, Hayward Sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus robotic vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

My thinking is that one side is the spa and one side is the pool.

Can you post a pic of the pump pad?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

There's only one body of water.

The pump pad plumbing is not confusing. Suction and return. The plumbing in the picture is where it gets confusing.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm totally not getting that setup. I must be wrong, but it looks like your suction side water & your return side water can somehow intermingle.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

The way I see it, that middle pipe can either be a suction or a return depending on how you set the valves. If you turn them both toward the center you're just recircing water from the discharge to the suction of the pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe that the middle pipe is setup so it can be either a suction or a return line.

If I am correct, one of the two left hand pipes is skimmer and the other is pump intake. On the right, one of the two would be filter and the other returns. Than leaves the middle pipe to be "whips" whatever they are.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Than leaves the middle pipe to be "whips" whatever they are.

11. Back To Top    #11

Than leaves the middle pipe to be "whips" whatever they are.
    They are return side cleaners. They attach to the sides of the walls.

Pools are not built with them anymore because they don't work nearly as well as floor heads / nozzles.

12. Back To Top    #12

I have never seen the pics of the whips before. My pool built in the 70s has the returns for them, but I use the 4 eyeball return path instead.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I discovered the reason for why the pool plumbing is the way it is.

The whips are supposed to be retractable. The suction is supposed to suck the whips back into the plumbing.

It does not work for me. It could be because so many of the whips are missing.

The whips do not look like the ones in the pictures I posted earlier, they are simply smooth rubber hoses.

14. Back To Top    #14

That sounds like a neat idea if it actually worked. I've never heard of that setup before. Thanks for the lesson.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator