Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get rid of cloudy water!

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get rid of cloudy water!

We have a above ground chlorine pool 30x54 and the water stays cloudy. Chems were outta wack when we opened it but the water was kinda clear...high PH and low CYA..Chlorine would not stay in the pool. Finally got the chemicals good..water turned a little cloudy but could still see the bottom ladder step. Shocked with HTH shock from WalMart and ran the filter for 2 days..still cloudy but Chlorine levels are good now. Vacuumed to waste blindly. Tried using clarifier to settle cloudiness and vacuumed again and no help. Sand is 1 yr old and when I backwash the filter not that dirty..so I think that is good. Talked to the pool store and they said to try crystal shock..tried that and ran filter for a day+ and same cloudy water. Kinda lost what to do now..seems pool store sucks and I keep dumping money in it and it doesn't clear. Chems still check out good with pool store test and home test. Can still see bottom step but not the pool bottom. I've read about flocking but don't know..any ideas? I also read about high phosphates but pool store doesn't test for that. Getting frustrated and didn't have this prob last year, thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get rid of cloudy water!

Please post us a full set of those "pool store" test results. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

and forget about phosphates. Also please post as many details about your pool and equipment as possible. The chem requirements can be different based on which type of pool and equipment you have.

Oh, and don't worry about your sand's age. 20 year old sand works just fine!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick reply..here's the test results from this morning. It's a above ground 30x54, I think a 400lb sand filter with 2HP pump.

FCI - 2.6
    TCI - 3.2
    PH - 7.6
    CH - 180
    ALK - 100
    CYA 30

5. Back To Top    #5

From those results you have >.5 combined chlorine and you would need to follow the shocking process as laid out in pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

I was going to try clorox for shocking it but how much do I need to add?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rye724
    I was going to try clorox for shocking it but how much do I need to add?
    You can use http://www.poolcalculator.com/ plug in all your information and it will tell you how much to add you need to reference this chart pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock to determine what level of Free Chlorine you need to reach while shocking.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

So what reading am I looking for to be good when it comes to combined Cl?