Grounding pool to pump!

Jun 19, 2012
I have replaced my above ground pool with the exact same 24' above ground pool. I believe the only thing I need to do is ground the pump to the pool. I am using the existing electrical supply which has already been grounded previously. Am I able to do this myself and if so, how... or do I need a professional?

First, Welcome to TFP! :goodjob:

Are you talking about Bonding? or grounding? They are different terms but often confused as being the same thing; which, they are not.

Bonding the pool is achieved by using a copper 8 gauge "halo" buried 4-6 inches deep and about 18-24 inches away from the pool. The halo is attached in 4 different places to the metal pool frame or uprights, then to the water, and then to the motor.

Grounding the pool to a motor that is on a GFI or grounded recpetical is not the same thing. in my opinion, both should be done. However, I am sure a pro will chime in here are clarify things further. Hang in there. You have come tot he right place.

Welcome to TFP!

I suspect you are mixing up grounding and bonding. The pump must be grounded, while bonding requirements for above ground pools vary from place to place, though usually a 24' pool does need to be bonded.

For grounding, there should be a ground wire coming to the pump along with the power wires, which gets connected to the ground lug inside the pump (right next to the power connections).

For bonding, there should be a bonding lug on the outside of the pump that gets connected to the bonding wire. Bonding connects all metal objects that either contact the water or are within 3' of the edge of the pool. This connection keeps everything at the same electrical potential so that no one can get shocked while in the pool. The bonding wire should connect to the pump, heater, any metal in the frame of the pool, and run in a loop all the way around the outside of the pool.

As I said, bonding requirements for above ground pools vary somewhat from place to place. If there was a bonding wire on the old pool, you should be able to simply hook it up in the same way to the new pool. If there was not previously a bonding wire, you should probably hire someone familiar with the local requirements to install one.

Ok, I see that my pump is grounded. I guess it's bonding that needs to be done....I will check with the MA regs to see if I actually need to do it.....especially where the copper is outrageously price right now!!! Thank you.

It is a good idea to contact your local authority on this. In my area we do not have to provide a perimiter bond around an above ground pool. We have to do an attachment to 3 places on the pool frame no closer than 4' apart, a bond on the motor housing, a bond on the heater chassis and a water bond of no less than 9 square inches. All of this then needs to run to a 8' ground rod. The water bond is the tricky one if there is no heater in the system. The water bond can use the heat exchanger as its attachment point. If no heater then I usually install a 1.5" brass coupling on the pump intake with a water meter clamp on it. We also have to use solid #4 wire.

You can bond the water with a Burndy Waterbug. Its not cheap though. About 40 dollars shipped. Stainless steel and it goes in the skimmer.

pool6.jpg

pool8.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.