Funniest/ most ridiculous thing the pool store has told you

Re: Funniest/ most ridiculous thing the pool store has told

Today I got lazy and went to the pool store to get liquid chlorine. I was talking to the guy behind the counter about hardness and basic stuff. My CH is about 350 right now and slowly coming down.
Anyway, he said my water is old and I need to replace it.
I didn't know water got old. It's only been around for a few billion years. Why does it get old now???? lol.
BTW, my water was drained last year just before I bought the house.
Old water. WHO KNEW?

Mesamav said:
Today I got lazy and went to the pool store to get liquid chlorine. I was talking to the guy behind the counter about hardness and basic stuff. My CH is about 350 right now and slowly coming down.
I didn't know water got old. It's only been around for a few billion years. Why does it get old now???? lol.
BTW, my water was drained last year just before I bought the house.
Old water. WHO KNEW?

I've had a few people at work tell me that you have to replace the water every couple of years or algae will start growing and you can't get rid of it. I tell them that all they need to do is get their CYA to a good level and then use liquid chlorine, but, no go.

Not protecting him, but people here have used that analogy quite often.
In the Phoenix area, supply water is very hard, and evaporation very high, so your CH/TDS can go through the roof after a few years. Draining a pool every three years is common place. Not sure how yours is coming down, unless you backwash a lot.

Most of those guys are not really trained, just monkey see, monkey do. Wow, think, if the first monkey was really trained, they would be out of business, unable to sell all the Crud that they do.

Love all the stories, keep them coming.

Just-a-PB said:
In the Phoenix area, supply water is very hard, and evaporation very high, so your CH/TDS can go through the roof after a few years. Draining a pool every three years is common place. Not sure how yours is coming down, unless you backwash a lot.

Rules of thumb can be a substitute for accurate testing and understanding the chemistry involved.

anonapersona said:
Just-a-PB said:

Rules of thumb can be a substitute for accurate testing and understanding the chemistry involved.

Yes, the water here is pretty hard but I watch it and I do backwash quite often. I've even dumped a bit of water once just to keep the CH and CYA in line but to tell me the water is old? That's a new one on me.
I could see dumping all the water just to start over because the pool store chems are way out of line but the water itself doesn't get "old". I just had to laugh. They always try and sell me something when I go in there but all I ever buy is bleach and only because it's just up the street. Normally, Lowe's has the lowest price for bleach around here so I'm usually buying my stuff there.
Those pool guys either crack me up or we get into a "discussion" about stuff like CYA and it's affect on stuff. They insisted "their pucks" don't contain CYA and of course I pointed out, (in front of several customers I might add) how wrong he was and why I rarely use pucks. He had to admit defeat in front of other customers so I felt pretty good about that.
I even have a neighbor that has a pool. He is constantly looking over the fence and asking why I don't ever shock my pool. He shocks his 2 or 3 times a month and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as my pool. I told him what I do and tried to turn him onto this site but he won't listen. He says those pool guys are the experts so he will continue to heed their advice although he did like my test kit and all the cool things it can tell you. He still peeks over the fence but I stopped giving him my advice if he isn't going to listen to me. I even gave him a little DE to put into his sand filter. He loved it. Cleared up his hazy pool in one day but does he listen to me? Nope. That's OK with me. I'll just listen to him complain about all the stuff he buys and dumps into his pool and laugh. He'll come around someday.......or not.

Mesamav said:
I even have a neighbor that has a pool. He is constantly looking over the fence and asking why I don't ever shock my pool. He shocks his 2 or 3 times a month and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as my pool. I told him what I do and tried to turn him onto this site but he won't listen. He says those pool guys are the experts so he will continue to heed their advice although he did like my test kit and all the cool things it can tell you. He still peeks over the fence but I stopped giving him my advice if he isn't going to listen to me. I even gave him a little DE to put into his sand filter. He loved it. Cleared up his hazy pool in one day but does he listen to me? Nope. That's OK with me. I'll just listen to him complain about all the stuff he buys and dumps into his pool and laugh. He'll come around someday.......or not.

Cloudy thinking lead to cloudy pool :lol:

mickey4paws said:
Mesamav said:

Cloudy thinking lead to cloudy pool :lol:
U cabt make people listen,,,,usually the money saved getstheir attention!

I bought some liquid CYA yesterday. The guy said not to backwas for 3 days or I would just lose it all. He even wrote it on one of the bottles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I got the bleach lecture at one store about how it adds salt and will increase TDS. I asked, What about CYA levels? Their reply: Don't worry about CYA. High TDS levels is a much bigger concern. :brickwall:

Fortunately, this exchange did not happen at the store I shop at most often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.