Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Funniest/ most ridiculous thing the pool store has told you

1. Back To Top    #1

Funniest/ most ridiculous thing the pool store has told you

I was shocking my pool and the cya was around 70 so it required a lot of chlorine. Also, I wasn't able to maintain the shock level because of work so the process took longer. So this one day the pool store guy said, "you sure are using a buncha chlorine." I told him I have mustard algae to which he immediately replied, "mustard algae feeds on chlorine. you are just giving it food with all of the chlorine you are putting in your pool." I stood there in amazement and I'm sure that was reflected on my face. Once he finished his about algae food I said, "you should go to troublefreepool.com and read pool school." Then I paid for my algae food and left.

Wow... just wow.
    16x32 Grecian, vinyl liner, IG, 19000 gal.
    1.5 h.p. Hayward Super Pump 2 speed. Hayward S244T sand filter
    Circupool RJ45 SWG, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Funniest/ most ridiculous thing the pool store has told

a few weeks ago I went to the pool store to get my salt level checked. Big waste of my day as she said she didn't know how to find out my current salt level, only how to read to me how much salt I should buy from them. Her words exactly! in that same visit, I heard another girl tell a customer that copper makes chorine not work at all in a pool and it was a waste of time and money to add any more chlorine when there is copper in the water. Now, if she had used the words 'algae food', it would have made my day!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by soundguy
    "mustard algae feeds on chlorine. you are just giving it food with all of the chlorine you are putting in your pool."
    Yep...just the other day I was reading up on chlorine-based lifeforms, and there it was, Mustard Algae! Right next to the entry for Itchy Algae in that quarry in Arlen.

=========

About 2 weeks ago, I was in the LPS for a part, and while there I asked if they carried liquid chlorine. (Hey...sometimes they have sales, you never know) Fellow said "Yeah, we have pool shock right over here" and told me the price, amount per case, etc. I asked about concentration, and did the math, and it worked out to somewhere close to $0.40/oz of Chlorine. I finish my quick math, he says "So you want me to have the guys load up a few cases while you're waiting?" I said no thanks, it was a bit higher than I wanted to spend.

The conversation then went something like this:

"Well, it's not like you have any real alternatives for liquid chlorine."

"Sure I do. Bleach is a whole lot cheaper ounce for ounce than that stuff."

"But bleach won't work as well."

"It won't? Why not?"

"Pool chlorine is a special kind of chlorine, formulated specifically for pools."

"Oh. So it's probably sodium hypochlorite then?"

*checks bottle* "Yes! Yes! That's what it is."

"Read a bottle of bleach some time."

Sometimes I just can't help it...
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by soundguy
    I was shocking my pool and the cya was around 70 so it required a lot of chlorine. Also, I wasn't able to maintain the shock level because of work so the process took longer. So this one day the pool store guy said, "you sure are using a buncha chlorine." I told him I have mustard algae to which he immediately replied, "mustard algae feeds on chlorine. you are just giving it food with all of the chlorine you are putting in your pool." I stood there in amazement and I'm sure that was reflected on my face. Once he finished his about algae food I said, "you should go to troublefreepool.com and read pool school." Then I paid for my algae food and left.

Wow... just wow.
    It's a good thing you finally got some food for that Mustard Algae when you did, I was just gonna turn you in to the Mustard Algae Abuse Hotline!
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't been to a pool store yet....but i can't wait for when it happens....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Just remember, if it's just some 19 y/o kid working the counter, they are just repeating what they were told to say, don't bite their heads off, just smile and walk out with what you came for.

Now, if it's the Owner, Manager, or self proclaimed Pool Expert, feel free to unload!
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

7. Back To Top    #7

Using cal-hypo will eat the pebbles out of your pebble-tec.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Something aout "chlorine lock."
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

"You don't want to use liquid chlorine because it leaves salt."
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

On the chlorine lock thing, one of the guys told me that chlorine lock is only a problem above 100 ppm of CYA.

On the liquid chlorine/clorox issue, they also told me it would build up too much salt.

One of the last times I had the pool store test my water (even with my TF-100 I used to have them test my water on occasion) the guy looked at me with an extremely serious look and asked how my pool looked. I said it looks great--crystal clear and sparkling. He asked if I was sure!!! I said I was sure--just took the sample he tested. He then said that my phosphates were very high that I almost certainly have algae. I politely smiled and said I'll be ok.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

"It's normal to have a green pool, look how hot and humid it is outside" heard last year in a big chain pool store.

"Copper sulfate is bad, it's poison, we don't sell that stuff" said the clerk standing beside a shelf full of Bioguard Banish.

"The ideal CH is 200" said a clerk without even testing the water.

"This (pointing to dichlor) is a much better chlorine than this (pointing to cal-hypo)."

"You shouldn't use sodium bicarbonate from the grocery store, it doesn't last as long as ALK Increaser" from a pool store web site (That phrase is still up on their website BTW).

And when I brought over a specially formulated water sample (one with 1200 or so ppm CH), their DPD test went cloudy white, lady said "OMG I don't know what wrong with your pool water but it's all cloudy, look! You should drain it all immediately." Then she proceeded to test CH, after about 60 drops (hello sample size!) she started to squeeze the reagent bottle so hard the R-0012 was squirting out into the test cell. "Look, no color change, just drain it all, you'll get a severe skin rash for sure."

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    "You don't want to use liquid chlorine because it leaves salt."
    Especially if you have a SWCG.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78
    Something aout "chlorine lock."
    Harumph.....Chlorine lock. I heard that junk so many times. I chlorine locked myself out of that store permanently.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

14. Back To Top    #14

"Liquid chlorine will cause your total dissolved solids to build up. I'd recommend using that (pointing a bucket of Cal-Hypo) instead."

This was after he tested my water, which has a CH level of 390. His test incorrectly showed a 200 for the CH reading.
    21,000 Gallon IG Plaster with Spillover Spa (Built in 1978) | 48 sq/ft Hayward DE Filter | 3.0 HP Pentair Variable Speed Pump | Hayward H250FDN Heater| 8 Gallon Liquidator | Taylor K-2005 | Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Test | Taylor "SpeedStir"

15. Back To Top    #15

I had a pool store employee tell me he had read about a "new" procedure to lower TA: pour a gallon of MA all at once in a column in the deep end of the pool. He was planning on trying at his own pool.
    I agreed with him that MA works for lowering TA, but that dumping a lot in one spot may damage his vinyl liner.
    He actually said that since I seem to know a lot about pool chems, he was not going to try adding an acid slug to his pool after all.
    It felt good to help the pool store guy.
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by tltmom
    It felt good to help the pool store guy.
    So, ya gotta wonder....

When one of us does something like that, do they all have their own forum where they talk about how "I got TFP'd"
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

17. Back To Top    #17

Today I was in a pool store getting a part and mentioned I used bleach. Meh said the bleach addsnphosphatesm(algae food) to the pool and that I should switch to liquid chlorine. Seems odd...i have not read that anywhere yet.
    PPP...

Vol: 1100 gal. Cartridge filter only. Above ground, vinyl liner. No pump info. 2 mo old.
    Location Corpus Christi TX. (sunny and humid baby!!!)

18. Back To Top    #18

Clarification. I meant phosphates (need to watch my misspellings).
    PPP...

Vol: 1100 gal. Cartridge filter only. Above ground, vinyl liner. No pump info. 2 mo old.
    Location Corpus Christi TX. (sunny and humid baby!!!)

19. Back To Top    #19

was told today to watch breathing the 12% liquid chlorine as it will burn right away if you take a deep breath. Powdered chlorine is MUCH safer.

Odd....cause I tend to remember burning the heck out of my nose, and giving myself a nosebleed last year after smelling some Cal-Hypo last year. Ya...I'm that stupid too!

20. Back To Top    #20

This report was on our evening news the other day from a "Premier Pool builder/supplier" in our area:

Chemicals to treat algae can cost between $45 and $150 + and take up to two weeks to clear completely. “Unfortunately, some pool owners resort to a quick-fix,” she says. “Some try to vacuum the algae and that is a big mistake!” [/b]

Not sure how much THEIR chemicals cost but bleach is definitely cheaper :P
    13600 gal A/G Vinyl, Sand Filter, 1.0 HP Single Speed Pump, 'Lil Shark Cleaner, Full Sun 99% of the day, No trees, etc anywhere in sight.
    Happily BBB-ing since 2009!!! Still learning ;-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast