Proper placement of pavers - Intex 22'

Jun 19, 2012
So I've been using this site the past couple of weeks and now with a whopping 3" of water in the pool I need help! 22' Intex ultraframe. Level site, 2x6x6 pavers placed with top ring and leveled, 1" insulation board with cutouts for pavers. Finally set the pool on it tonight and began filling.

Problem 1: Pavers appear to be too far out in a few places. Should I cut more instulation board and move them in. What should the legs look like vertically with 3" of pool water and also when it's full? I hate to move them but to pull the legs out to a few of them puts the liner in quite a bind and has the legs leaning a bit.

Problem 2: Where should the liner sit in relation to the pavers? The inside edge of a few of the pavers stick slight (1/8-1/4") above my insulation board and can be felt through the liner. Is this going to cause problems with the liner?

Thanks - my wife is getting quite impatient with the whole process and wants to get rid of the pavers. I know that's not the answer - but lining the legs up on them has turned into quite a pain. We've stopped filling for now until we get this figured out.

I haven't done mine yet, but will be setting up the exact same pool at some point.

I asked pretty much the same questions already and have gotten answers to most of them, check out our thread most of the answers are already there, (link in my signature).

As for the pavers touching the liner, I would suggest moving those pavers out away from the liner, it would most likely end up rubbing a hole.

Gonna want to get the pavers flush with your foamboard for sure...they rub against that liner long enough and you'll have problems. 6x6 is a bit small but will do, i got 6x9's under mine and i almost wish i would have went a bit larger. As the pool fills the legs will push out quite a bit so you'll want to favor the pavers to the back to allow some room for the legs to slide outward. I know this first hand as i just got done resetting some of mine that i had to close to the front edge. Had to jack the top rail up and slide the pavers away from the liner...as far as the void left behind from me sliding the pavers out i just threw some paver sand back there to level it up with my foamboard...pretty tight space back there to try and cut and fit a new piece of foamboard.

We made cutouts for the pavers and when we started to fill, we noticed that the legs would slip a little, so as we were filling, we could move them (the pavers) and adjust them where they needed to go. This worked out well for us and we haven't had any problems. We also used the 1" foam and we had sand under the foam & pavers that was really packed down.

For us, we haven't really had any problems as we watched what was going on with filling before it was too full to move around. Some of the pavers moved forward onto the foam, so we were able to deal with that as well.

I think that people get carried away with the pavers. I have had a 12'-3' intex pool for two years with nothing under the poles. They were sitting on dirt and did not sink in. I am setting up a 15'-4' pool now and I am using 7" - 7" 1/4" plywood under the poles. Using 1/4 plywood makes them easy to move around. The stock poles only have a plastic pad under them so I don't believe that the strength of the 1/4 plywood is going to be an issue. I don't think that there is as much load on the poles as people believe. The poles themselves are not very strong considering the length of the pole and would fail with any sort of large load. Remember they make the same size pools with no poles and a blow up ring.

Each leg has about 100 - 150 lbs of load on it when the pool is full. The 6 x 6 pavers should be fine. The original leg is about 6 square inches so with a 6" square paver you've increased the foot pad 6 times that area. This gives about 4 pounds of load per square inch (the water load is <2 pounds per square inch).

The real problem with the legs is as people hop around in the pool the frame sways back and forth. This causes the legs to dig in like a shovel if people really get the pool moving.

I hope you're right! We moved some of them and have all of them flush with the insulation board now. As the pool fills their are a few poles that are on the edge of the pavers but the poles are straight and so I'm leaving them. At worst I guess they'll partially dig into the insulation board or crack the 2" paver. We're still filling and will hope for the best! The kids are ready to swim! Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in this process myself and am wondering if some of the pavers can be dug lower then others to compensate for 2 inch difference? So most would be flush and some maybe down 1-1.5 inches, which makes the top of pool level. Thoughts....

Hi, welcome to TFP! You want to set the pavers so they are level to each other, so that may mean you dig down deeper for some than others. Once the pavers are level the ground within the pavers needs to be level as well, so the pool will have a level floor.

I'm in this process myself and am wondering if some of the pavers can be dug lower then others to compensate for 2 inch difference? So most would be flush and some maybe down 1-1.5 inches, which makes the top of pool level. Thoughts....

Thank you. We have the pool up slightly filled and off about 1.5-2 inches, my question pertains to pavers for each leg of the pool. Walking around with a level, some legs need buried slightly deeper than flush. Just wondering if is this okay to do? We have moved the pool to re-level the ground multiple times so I think at this point we are happy with 1.5-2 inches off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.