I have a friend who has a baquacil pool that is green

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I can help just about anyone clean up their pool...but I don't know what to tell her about the baquacil and cleaning it up. Do they continue to add more baquacil...if so what is the process? I know they need to keep filter running 24/7...which they weren't doing. They don't want to do a conversion because they have already purchased so much Baquacil. I have tried to convince them of the benefits of chlorine...not listening...anyone got any advice so I can help them clean up their green pool.

THanks

BEAVE

I have no experience with Baq products. The only thing I know is from all the conversions that happen on the forum when people decide it is not working.

So do they already have a stockpile of Baq product waiting to be used? As that is the only reason I can think of to even consider staying with it.

If not, to refuse to consider switching just because of past money that has been spent and lost, is an argument that defies logic. You may not be able to help them until they see you enjoying your sparkling pool for a few weeks/months while they throw tons of $$$ at a cloudy mess.

Like people that you try to tell about the BBB methods ... they just will not believe it until they are desperate and discover it for themselves ... sad but true.

I'd first suggest trying to return the products to the pool store for a refund, or store credit. There is a chance the store will do so. Many people still don't want to swap (we tried talking my mother-in-law into swapping for over 5 years) as chlorine ruins just about everything. Towels and suits get ruined every year.....liner fades almost right away......eye's burn......and little Tommy is allergic to chlorine. The one hold-up for the product is the cost. To really make the product work, large amounts of cash must be spent. Cleaning a Baquacil pool that's turned green is a pain on a good day, but then again, so is cleaning a chlorine pool.

First.....find out WHY the pool went green. They need to ALWAYS keep their sanitizer levels between 30-50. I'm guessing this is where the water went wrong. Many people let this level fall down as the cost of the product is outrageous (around $40) yet this is the one that keeps algae away. Get this level up to 50ppm first. Next test the oxidizer levels. Treat this product as chlorine and continue "shocking" the pool. This will be burnt up quickly so keep topping it off. After a few days will pool will turn clear again. Once it does re-test the sanitizer level and raise to 50ppm and add a dose of Premium Algaecide. Get them into the habit of DAILY testing for their sanitizer and oxidizer levels. Before we swapped to chlorine, I was even going against Baquacil's suggestions and adding oxidizer daily to try to stay ahead of the green. Still we almost always had cloudy water at best. Keep the sanitizer levels between 30-50 (I'd always suggest at LEAST 40) and weekly add the algaecide. I wouldn't skip adding algaecide, any extra step to prevent algae in a Baqua pool is a MUCH needed one.

The pool store may try and suggest a floc, but I never had good luck making that work, and still ended up just adding large amounts of oxidizer to clear it up. If they wana try it.....go for it. Also, depending on their filter type they may not be able to run the filter 24/7. With our DE filter the DE would become plugged up almost every-other-hour needing to be backflushed, even with a minor outbreak. If the pump can't keep it's prime overnight, rather than burning up the pump, either turn it to re-circulate or just turn it off all together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.