Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what size is my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

what size is my pool?

Just received a free above ground pool. Everything is in immaculate condition.
    Person I got it from, got it from another person and never got around to setting it up. They said they were told it is an 18', but I hate to order a liner and have it be the wrong size.
    Bead reciever and rail are 56" each, and there are 11 of each.

What size is it??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what size is my pool?

My creative algebra tells me it is in the 24 to 26 foot range, but don't go by me. The best way to tell would be to lay out the bead receiver in a circle and measure it across the circle at the widest point.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welllllllllllll...........if you have 11 pieces that are 4'-8" long each, that would create a circle with a circumference of 51'-04". That assumes absolutely NO overlap of the pieces. If they all overlap an inch or so each or fit into each other that much.........that would leave you a circumference of about 50'-0 wihich would equal a 16 ft. round pool..... MAX. The circumference on an 18'-0 round pool would be 56'-06". Somebody check my math!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    My creative algebra tells me it is in the 24 to 26 foot range, but don't go by me. The best way to tell would be to lay out the bead receiver in a circle and measure it across the circle at the widest point.
    Hmmmmmmmm...a circle has a widest point! Pretty sure she meant to measure the diameter...............not just any random chord.
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Welllllllllllll...........if you have 11 pieces that are 4'-8" long each, that would create a circle with a circumference of 51'-04". That assumes absolutely NO overlap of the pieces. If they all overlap an inch or so each or fit into each other that much.........that would leave you a circumference of about 50'-0 wihich would equal a 16 ft. round pool max. The circumference on an 18'-0 round pool would be 56'-06". Somebody check my math!
    Agree with math.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

They don't overlap at all. Actually when the bottom rail sits in the pieces for the legs, there is about a 1/4" spacer in there to keep them from contacting. 12 legs, so 12 1/4" gaps is another 3" so 51' 7"?

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmmm, just went out and looked, and there are 12 legs and 12 leg top covers. It appears I may be missing a bead reciever and a bottom track.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mdiam1980
    They don't overlap at all. Actually when the bottom rail sits in the pieces for the legs, there is about a 1/4" spacer in there to keep them from contacting. 12 legs, so 12 1/4" gaps is another 3" so 51' 7"?
    If You're close to right-------the diameter is 16'-6. Odd duck I think.

9. Back To Top    #9

Well if there are supposed to be 12 sides with no overlap, that puts you very close to 18'.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

That's what I see too jbliz.

I get 18.1 feet, so I would assume 18' is right if their are 12 "cords" that end to end measure 56.25" (adding the 0.25" between). By the way, I adjust my calculation to account for the fact that your measurement was end to end and not the length of the cord, though not adjusting gave me ~17.9 feet, so that would have been enough to figure it is 18 feet.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mdiam1980
    Hmmm, just went out and looked, and there are 12 legs and 12 leg top covers. It appears I may be missing a bead reciever and a bottom track.
    Missin' a piece = mystery solved.

12. Back To Top    #12

I have 12 uprights on my 18'. If that helps any.
    18 X 54 Round-Wilbar-Sharkline Above Ground Tahitian
    Stainless steel access panel/ 1.5 hp pump
    Self Installed 6/09
    Crushed by Irene, and a 50ft oak 8/28/11
    Re installing 4/12 and up and running