Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi Everybody, I got Algae!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi Everybody, I got Algae!

Hi Everybody,

New here, and glad I found this site, you guys have a huge amount of info, Ive learned so much already from the pool school and the sparkling oasis thread, and once I get this under control I hope to master BBB too.

So here's my story so far. My mothers pool is seasonal, it's covered but not drained in the winter. We uncovered it, cleaned out the debris, but we have pesky algae. She started with shock, it cleared a little, then came back, she tried algicide (which thanks to you guys I've learned is a no, no), and has now shocked the pool again a few days ago.

From what I've read here so far it seems that she's been leaving too much time between treatments right. We need to test and shock more frequently.

The water has been going clear and she said she brushed the pool the first time but there are blooms forming on the floor. The water was nice and clear after the last treatment but she said after the vacuum started going over the blooms on the floor the water started going green. She thinks the filter isn't working right and that the vacuum is just dispersing the algae from the floor throughout the pool, is that possible? The filter is 4 years old by the way.

My Measurements (which are approximations as I'm using a coloured strip):

Bromine: 0ppm
    Chlorine: 0.5ppm
    Total Alklinity: 180+ppm
    pH: 7.6

We're going to take a water sample in tomorrow, as theyll test it for free so I'll have more accurate numbers then, and we're going to get some bleach.

Also, quick question about CYAs: Do they occur naturally at some levels? Or if she hasn't specifically added them is it safe to assume that level is 0 too?

Thanks again for all your help, advice, thoughts, and excellent instructional material.
    16000Gallons, Sand Filter, Above Ground plastic liner, 1.5H pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi Everybody, I got Algae!

CYA has to be added, it's not naturally occurring. Unfortunately, it's a component of most chlorine pucks and a lot of "shock" powders. So you may have some. I'd even wager that you have a lot.

The bad news for you is, there's only one distributor of Taylor test kits in Canada, and the prices reflect the monopoly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't help because I'm still learning, but I wanted to say "WELCOME" and tell you that you have the best username yet!

theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

CYA is never in the water to start with, but if the pool was used as a pool last year there is very likely to be CYA in the water. The common chlorine tablets contain CYA, as do some of the granular chlorine products.

It is possible for the filter to be letting debris through, though that isn't my first guess at what is happening.

To really deal with this problem you need to know your CYA level, and if it is below 30, raise CYA to at least 30.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Everybody, I got Algae!

Sounds like you killed some algae and it sank to the floor where new algae grew in the shade of the old, dead algae and the vacuuming stirred it up. Read the pool school and focus on the "shock process". As we say here, shock is not a product, it's a process. It may take several days and several jugs of chlorine to solve her issue.

Good luck,
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Ignore the bromine number.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for clarifying that CYA question up for me Richard and Jason, and I hadn't thought that they may have been too high, but now that you mention it, they do use pucks and added a bunch of a granular shock product but I didn't see any indication on the package that CYA's were in there. Although they've also been doing a lot of backwashing to the ground so who knows. Hopefully this test will reveal that number.

Lol, thanks for the warm welcome 8corneflakes and glad you like my username

In the meantime I'l review the shock process and ignore the bromine. Thanks guys.
    16000Gallons, Sand Filter, Above Ground plastic liner, 1.5H pump