New here, and glad I found this site, you guys have a huge amount of info, Ive learned so much already from the pool school and the sparkling oasis thread, and once I get this under control I hope to master BBB too.
So here's my story so far. My mothers pool is seasonal, it's covered but not drained in the winter. We uncovered it, cleaned out the debris, but we have pesky algae. She started with shock, it cleared a little, then came back, she tried algicide (which thanks to you guys I've learned is a no, no), and has now shocked the pool again a few days ago.
From what I've read here so far it seems that she's been leaving too much time between treatments right. We need to test and shock more frequently.
The water has been going clear and she said she brushed the pool the first time but there are blooms forming on the floor. The water was nice and clear after the last treatment but she said after the vacuum started going over the blooms on the floor the water started going green. She thinks the filter isn't working right and that the vacuum is just dispersing the algae from the floor throughout the pool, is that possible? The filter is 4 years old by the way.
My Measurements (which are approximations as I'm using a coloured strip):
Total Alklinity: 180+ppm
We're going to take a water sample in tomorrow, as theyll test it for free so I'll have more accurate numbers then, and we're going to get some bleach.
Also, quick question about CYAs: Do they occur naturally at some levels? Or if she hasn't specifically added them is it safe to assume that level is 0 too?
Thanks again for all your help, advice, thoughts, and excellent instructional material.