A little algea, help me kill it fast and balance my water!

Re: A little algea, help me kill it fast and balance my wate

Manalex:
To raise FC from 22.5 to 28 in a 35K pool, Pool Calculator tells me to add 399oz of 6% bleach. This is a bit more than 4-96oz jugs (384oz). You're definitely on the right track, though.

ARRRHHGGGG!!!!

Woke up this morning with the pool water down about 6 inches. The cover on the debris screen for the pump was loose and leaked all night. Now I'm adding water to the pool which will surely change the balance. Can't think of anything more frustrating at the moment. :rant:

Tested anyway and got the following results:
FC=19
CC=0.5
TC=19.5
PH=7.2
T/A=140
CH=175
CYA=55
Salt=3200

Everything looked stable except the FC, which fell from 22 to 19. I added three jugs this morning, and finish with whatever I need to add later this afternoon. Not going to have to start from scratch completely, but this will change things a bit going forward. Hopefully I'll have a full pool when I get back from work this afternoon, retest and go from there. Anybody want to guess as to what the results will be?

A

After arriving home last night, pool full retested and got the following results:
FC=19.5
CC=1.0
TC=20.5
PH=7.5
T/A=145
CH=175
CYA=55
Salt=3200

I had three more bags, 1lb ea, of the Walmart shock, so based on the pool calculator results, I threw them in before going to bed. Still had a little algea so I fgured that I'd keep shocking.

This morning, scrubed and found even less algea, and I got the following results:
FC=25.5
CC=0.5
TC=26.0
PH=7.4
T/A=135
CH=175
CYA=55
Salt=3200

Can't seem to get the CYA up any more than 55. I know I lost some water, and results don't fully register immediately, but for it not to change at all even after adding additional shock seems odd-should I be concerned? Any body know why the CYA has not increased?

Hopefully, the little algea that remains will be gone this afternoon. If it is I'll try the over night test. Water is very clear BTW.

One more thing, I have cartridge filters, and only now have they begun to read as "dirty". I do plan on having them cleaned out but was wondering if this would present any kind of hindrance?

Thanks in advance...

Yes! Completed the OCLT this morning and didn't have any drop in FC! Here are my results:
FC=21.5
CC=0.5
TC=22.0
PH=7.3
T/A=120
CH=175
CYA=50
Salt=3200

So now that I've completely eradicated every living organism in my pool, I suppose I have to Begin concentrating on balance. Thanks to everyone that helped and contributed. I'll start another thread to get advise on where to go from here...

Actually, please keep your question right in this thread. It gives all the responders a "history" and often helps get better advice.

BTW, Very nice work on getting your pool crystal clear! :goodjob:

Passed OCLT! Now what?

After what must have been a small out break of Algea, I shocked thE pool for a couple of days and last night/this morning completed the OCLT and passed. I now need to begin the process of balancing the water chemistry and would like some advise on where to begin. Here are my test results:
FC=21.5
CC=0.5
TC=22.0
pH=7.3
TA=120
CH=175
CYA=50
Salt=3200

A little background: I initially shocked the pool with Trichlor. FC increased significantly (1 to 31), as did CYA (40 to 55). It's been less than a week and given the amount of shock that was added the CYA level is expected to be around 70. That said, CYA has been stable at 50-55, ever since I shocked and re-shocked the pool. I used both Trichlor and bleach to keep FC at shock level.

So, where do I go from here? I would like to employ the BBB method....

Thanks in advance.

Re: Passed OCLT! Now what?

Manalex said:
After what must have been a small out break of Algea, I shocked thE pool for a couple of days and last night/this morning completed the OCLT and passed. I now need to begin the process of balancing the water chemistry and would like some advise on where to begin. Here are my test results:
FC=21.5
CC=0.5
TC=22.0
pH=7.3
TA=120
CH=175
CYA=50
Salt=3200

A little background: I initially shocked the pool with Trichlor. FC increased significantly (1 to 31), as did CYA (40 to 55). It's been less than a week and given the amount of shock that was added the CYA level is expected to be around 70. That said, CYA has been stable at 50-55, ever since I shocked and re-shocked the pool. I used both Trichlor and bleach to keep FC at shock level.

So, where do I go from here? I would like to employ the BBB method....

Thanks in advance.

1. Let your FC drift on down to around 4ppm or so

2. Calculate and add enough CYA to get that level at 60-70ppm.

3. Turn your SWG back on and enjoy your summer!! Hold the FC between 3-5ppm

Re: Passed OCLT! Now what?

duraleigh said:
1. Let your FC drift on down to around 4ppm or so

2. Calculate and add enough CYA to get that level at 60-70ppm.

3. Turn your SWG back on and enjoy your summer!! Hold the FC between 3-5ppm

Thanks for your response! What about the other chems? Can I add for example, Calcium in order to get that level up without having to wait for the FC to come down? Do I need to manage PH or TA now, or do i wait until FC hits 4. Wen do I add borates? I really want to dump everything in at one time and have the results come out perfectly but understand that's not a likely option :)

A

1. pH is fine.

2. Unless pH rises VERY quickly, TA is fine, too.

3. CH can come to around 250 when you get a chance but it's not something that has to be done right away. What is the CH of your fill water...it may increase on it's own.

4. Do these steps one at a time. Don't be in a rush. Learn how to manipulate your parameters as needed. Your pool will always be changing a little from time to time so you can't fix everything at once and expect to walk away from it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Had a really nice day today. High 80s, sunny, beautiful day. Tested this evening and got the following results:
FC=15
CC=0
TC=15
pH=7.3
TA=120
CH=175
CYA=50
Salt=3200

So it looks like FC was reduced by 6.5 during the day. A lot more than what I expected. At this rate, I expect to be at the target 4 ppm in a couple more sunny days. The SWCG is off. Also, CYA is still at 50. Why is it not increasing?

Pool looks great now! Here are the test results from this morning:
FC=5
CC=.5
TC=5.5
pH=7.6
TA=110
CH=245
CYA=70
Salt=3000
SWG set at 65%, 12 hrs per day (still trying to figure out the right % and time)

Had the pH down to about 7.2, tried aerating to get the TA down a bit, didn't have much luck though, then the pH creeped back up to 7.6. I'd like to think I'm in the fine tuning stages, but I'd like to get that confirmed...

I have some scaling that I need to take care of. It developed, I know, because my CH had been way too low. Cleaning it off is on my to-do list. Am I correct in assuming that it will not get worse given the current water balance? Just trying to prioritize it with everything else on the list.

Just ordered some Borate test strips so I can start adding Borax. I know I'm going to need some MA in order to keep the pH at the correct levels while adding Borax. However, I wanted to confirm that I am ready to start that process and was wondering if there were any recommendations with respect to the current water balance.

Thanks!

Your numbers look very good and, indeed, you are in the fine tuning stages.

Low CH did not cause scaling....High CH can but usually it is high pH that is the culprit. Keep you pH down around 7.0 - 7.2 (you must monitor this very carefully....don't go below 7.0) and you may see the scaling dissolve back into the water.

Manalex said:
I have some scaling that I need to take care of. It developed, I know, because my CH had been way too low.

Scaling mainly results from a high CH combined with a high pH. From the test results you have posted, neither seems to be the case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.