Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Pressure Dropped a little??

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Pressure Dropped a little??

My Pump pressure usually holds at a shaky 14 psi after a backwash and during running. I noticed today it is holding at a steady 10 psi. Should I be concerned I did backwash last week for quite some time but I think it was around 14. Pool is clear and I see no evidence of sand in bottom? Should this be reason for concern? Also my flow is extraordinary out of the aqualuminator, I really wonder if the 1.5 hp is too much, that was the package I got. I don't want to spend the money to downsize if I don't need to, no complaints about water thus far. I rarely backwash since my pressure holds steady with pea pebbles and zeobrite. I only backwashed because I had a lot of water due to storms, go figure had a hose pop off Saturday and I wound up using city water after dumping maybe 4-5 inches due to rain.

Thanks
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pump Pressure Dropped a little??

Also my flow is extraordinary out of the aqualuminator,
    Do you mean your outflow has increased and it coincided with the pressure drop?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, seems my outflow is really high and I dropped about 3-4 lbs psi. I get a whilpool around my pool, so I have it pointed down about 135 degrees. It has always had a strong outflow, Saturday one of my hoses popped off, not sure what is up or just coincidence.
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Based on that, I think you have somehow removed a restriction on the pressure side of your system. That could be many. many things so I wouldn't even guess as to what it was but, by removing that restriction, the water is now flowing at higher volume.

That's usually not a bad thing unless something has happened inside your filter but it sounds like everything is operating normally.

I would simply benchmark 10psi as my new clean pressure and then backwash when psi gets 25% above 10.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The extended backwashing may have dislodged some stuff that's been in your filter a while and it oculd have also redistributed the sand and allows better flow. That may have resulted in lower bed restriction and thusly lower filter pressure.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit