first year with SWG, how far from rec before take action?

vanessadickson

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Paris, Kentucky
First year with SWG, after a year when I didnt even open the pool bc frustrated with local pool store and their informationless "just trust me" attitude. So took the time to learn the chemistry THaNK YoU TO THIS fORUM, and Amazingly, I have the pool pretty close to perfect but just want to know when I should take action if the change needed is small. The pool is crystal clear and has been for three weeks. Alkilinity initially a problem at 280, but followed the awesome guide, (acid to decrease alk/pH then increase pH with aeration (test,repeat repeatedly)) and have things in hand I think.
Here is where I am:

FC 3
pH 7.4
Alk 100
CYA 58
Cal 180
Salt 3500

To tweak, or not to tweak. That is the question.

Re: first year with SWG, how far from rec before take action

thanks! hot day today in the Bluegrass state, so prob need to turn up the chlorination settings a tad this evening. it has been sitting at 5 until today. Related question: with these numbers, do I need to shock sometime? no visible algae growth and pool doesnt have that "slick" floor feel you sometimes get if algae is starting. I read somewhere here that shocking is really only in reaction to a condition if chemistry otherwise OK

Re: first year with SWG, how far from rec before take action

Welcome to TFP.

Well, while we're nit-picking :mrgreen:

I'd bump the CYA up to about 70 and then you should hold just a bit more FC at the same setting and that'll make BF happy. And we all want to keep BF happy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.