cheap pool lighting

Apr 15, 2012
SW Ohio
i was at wally world the other day and i seen they had these L.E.D pool lights that connect with magnets and operate on 3 aa batteries w/remote so i though for 10 dollars i would give them a try and to my surprise there were 2 in the box thats right 2 lights w/1 remote for 10 dollars and they have a high and low setting. i was thinking hmmmm how lame can these be but to my surprise they work great they put out the right amount of light and i think are a good deal for us who are on a budget.

Could you post a photo of the box and the lights. I might be interested. I saw something like this at Wally this past weekend and it was not priced like what you are talking about. IIRC what I saw was about $60 USD.

here you go
poollight.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK for those of you who wanted to know if these are a great light. YES. I have a small pool but one lights up the pool pretty good. And 2 is almost like having day light come through. I will definitely try to modify one of them to use red or blue lights. Possibly will be buying another set to modify them as well.

I bought two boxes, but pool doesn't go up til later today. I read somewhere, maybe wallyworld reviews, that some people used pool o-ring lubricant on their o-ring to keep them dryer. Another person placed them inside a Ziploc and then put them in the pool. Hubby brought me some fancy industrial lubricant from work. I'll post back when I see how they do.... waiting for installer as we speak!

I bought two sets and found that the magnets aren't strong enough to use, the metal plates zip tied to the ladder doesn't work either since the air inside forces them to float. However! I did get lucky and they fit nicely wedged in the gap on the sides of each step. Didn't notice any water in them. Used for about an hour last night. I'm planning to get 1 more set so I will have 6. 3 on each side (the top step lip won't hold it since the bottom part flips upward).

The pressure from them wanting to float makes them fit perfectly!

With 4 last night I could see throughout the entire pool. If I could aim 2 in every direction it would be much brighter, but other than using string to wrap around them and the step I can't find any way to mount it other than wedging under the steps lip.

Speedo: were you using the metal plate that came with them? I think the Aluminum walls are going to be a problem for us but glad you found a solution that works with the steps! The steps look HUGE sitting in the yard :)

Mrs.Kid picked these up last night so we got in the pool to try them out. Better than I expected for $10! One lights up our 18x48 Ultra Frame adequately on either dim or bright, the pool seemed well lit with both lights mounted on opposite sides of the pool.

Word to the wise- the remote is DEFINITELY NOT water resistant at all. I managed to get water in it somehow. It was working last night, this morning I found the indicator LED on it glowing and the button non-responsive. I opened the remote and found condensation inside, so I'm letting it dry out. Hopefully it will start working again. Even if it doesn't, for the price I'm not going to complain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.