cheap pool lighting

BethyM said:
Speedo: were you using the metal plate that came with them? I think the Aluminum walls are going to be a problem for us but glad you found a solution that works with the steps! The steps look HUGE sitting in the yard :)
Yeah, I found out a few things.

- From what I gather, the walls are aluminum (coated?) on the outside, it's also made of steel. The magnet will stick on the inside, enough to feel it stick, but won't stay.
- Metal plates zip tied to the ladder aren't even close to keeping it in place (the air inside forces it to float)
- Air inside forcing it to float actually helps keep it under the steps lip

Did your installer assemble the steps? We had to put ours together. It does look pretty tall when out of the pool. It will look much smaller when in use.

Big_kid said:
Word to the wise- the remote is DEFINITELY NOT water resistant at all. I managed to get water in it somehow. It was working last night, this morning I found the indicator LED on it glowing and the button non-responsive. I opened the remote and found condensation inside, so I'm letting it dry out. Hopefully it will start working again. Even if it doesn't, for the price I'm not going to complain.
I keep mine out of the pool when not in use and turn them on before getting in and after I've taken them out. Just for fun I tried to turn them off from outside the pool. Doesn't even work when pointing directly at them from about 4-5' away, 2' of which was under water.

I bought 2 boxes tonight so here are 4 in my 18x36 ig
[attachment=1:1su44qfu]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340430810.010262.jpg[/attachment:1su44qfu]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340430810.010262.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340430810.010262.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 268
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340430825.303977.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340430825.303977.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 248
x2rider said:
Here's from shallow end, couldn't edit original post
[attachment=0:288t4ssn]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340431007.495300.jpg[/attachment:288t4ssn]

I'd say that's impressive for $20 worth of lights! How do they attach, or do you have metal walls?

Speedo... interesting. They are suppose to be 'aluminum' but, there's hardly any info out there about this pool that isn't on pool store website! My box in the yard says 'Dorado' and its the eterna pattern. It'll be interesting to see what we can come up with to get them to stick. I won't leave them in all the time. Night swimming will be occasional but kids in pool all the time... think they'd listen and not play with them? Yeah, I didn't think so either :)

Yes, stairs assembled in yard. They are way taller than me! Reminds me of a stair question. There's a package with black straps. I asked the installer about them and he said they are for holding the ladder up 'but they don't hold it up enough'? So they didn't put them on. Obviously, I need my ladder to go up and stay there! Does yours?

BethyM said:
x2rider said:
Here's from shallow end, couldn't edit original post
[attachment=0:2c117fk2]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340431007.495300.jpg[/attachment:2c117fk2]
I'd say that's impressive for $20 worth of lights! How do they attach, or do you have metal walls?

The metal skirt behind our liner is apparently magnetic, I tested it with a refrigerator magnet before I went to the store. They can also float face down. ya they look pretty nice, each one takes 3 AA batteries, the remotes come with cr2032 battery.

I found my new lights very useful when doing my routine tonight. I was able to do my testing and leaf skimming with my lights. I may need a second set as spares.

We discussed leaving them in the water, I just take them out when I am turning them off and stick them to the outside of the steel walls.

Gotta love iPad spelling enhancements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought some of the Good Time lights from Walmart a few months ago, and they started taking in water two months later. I let them dry out and placed them in zip lock bags and they work just fine. My husband and I decided to buy another box so that we'll have four, and to our surprise they now have to be screwed together , keeping them from taking in water. Price is still the same, so you can't beat that! :whoot: Our pool looks great at light.

OK, here's the scoop on the Goodtimes LED Lights. The hubby and I have ordered several online and also purchased some in store and have found out the following: The smaller lights that have light blue around the rim, immediately started bubbling and taking in water as soon as they were put in the pool. They screw together with small screws on the back. These were returned immediately.

The lights with no writing on the back that are completely smooth on the back, will usually fill up with water within about an hour of putting them in the pool. These lights are exactly like the ones on the website and screw together and are self-threaded around the rims. We also took these back.

The only lights that have been completely waterproof have raised printing on the back and show to be manufactured in 2012. We ended up being able to get 4 of those and have them in our pool now. They are completely waterproof and work fantastically.

The problem seems to be not knowing which lights you are going to get when you order online. All 3 times we ordered online, we were sent all three different lights, with only the ones manufactured in 2012 that are truly waterproof and work. We managed to find one other set of the 2012 lights at a Walmart store that worked as well.

So... If you happen to order them online, check the back when you pick them up and don't pay for them and take them home, unless they have raised writing on the back of the lights and are manufactured in 2012. The rest are all junk.

Hope this helps... we went round and round until we finally figured out what the deal was.

Left mine in the pool and they are toast now. Won't turn on and threw them away. Thankfully they are cheap, since they are seasonal I can't get them at Wally World now, will have to wait and see. Next time I will just put them in the pool when needed and remove when not. Plus when the kids start doing their "toilet bowl" running around the pool, the magnets weren't strong enough to hold them against the current....."dad the lights fell off again!"....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.