Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap pool lighting

1. Back To Top    #1

cheap pool lighting

i was at wally world the other day and i seen they had these L.E.D pool lights that connect with magnets and operate on 3 aa batteries w/remote so i though for 10 dollars i would give them a try and to my surprise there were 2 in the box thats right 2 lights w/1 remote for 10 dollars and they have a high and low setting. i was thinking hmmmm how lame can these be but to my surprise they work great they put out the right amount of light and i think are a good deal for us who are on a budget.
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cheap pool lighting

Could you post a photo of the box and the lights. I might be interested. I saw something like this at Wally this past weekend and it was not priced like what you are talking about. IIRC what I saw was about $60 USD.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought the same ones last week and they work great.
    Anne Marie, Monmouth County ,NJ. Salt water in ground french grey quartz/gunite pool 25000 gallons install July 2012

4. Back To Top    #4

here you go
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there a brand name? model #?, place where you purchased??
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~
    Pentair Dynamo .75/1.0 HP pump
    16" Pooline D-400 Sand Filter w/ 6-way valve

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll go look and see

7. Back To Top    #7

Goodtimes L.E.D light ....9.92 for 2

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by fast1971chevelle
    Goodtimes L.E.D light ....9.92 for 2
    Thanks, this one? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodtimes-LED ... e/20896253

How fast is "fast"?
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep those r the ones.....the box say requires 3 aa batteries....that is false each light takes 3 and the remote takes a round watch battery but it is included.......Mike

10. Back To Top    #10

Just bought these today. Work pretty good for 10 bucks. I may actually only use one for my 12ft pool. I may try and modify one to red or blue leds.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge

11. Back To Top    #11

How does everyone prefer to mount these? I'm assuming the magnetic part is rounded and smooth as to not damage the liner.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

12. Back To Top    #12

The magnet is in the light and there is a metal plate that goes on the outside of the pool. It seems pretty flat and non sharp. I plan on testing mine out tonight when it gets really dark to see how bright it is.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)

13. Back To Top    #13

OK for those of you who wanted to know if these are a great light. YES. I have a small pool but one lights up the pool pretty good. And 2 is almost like having day light come through. I will definitely try to modify one of them to use red or blue lights. Possibly will be buying another set to modify them as well.

14. Back To Top    #14

I found out today that you can't leave them in the pool because over time they will get water in them...so take them out at the end of the night and open them up and drain any water out and let them air dry......Mike

15. Back To Top    #15

I bought two boxes, but pool doesn't go up til later today. I read somewhere, maybe wallyworld reviews, that some people used pool o-ring lubricant on their o-ring to keep them dryer. Another person placed them inside a Ziploc and then put them in the pool. Hubby brought me some fancy industrial lubricant from work. I'll post back when I see how they do.... waiting for installer as we speak!
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

16. Back To Top    #16

These look pretty neat! Going to check Walmart on the way home.
    Thanks - John
    Pool: Sharkline Matrix 18 Round 54 Deep
    Pool Size: ~8200 Gallons
    Filter Type: Sand
    Pump: Intex 2650

17. Back To Top    #17

I bought them a few weeks ago. They worked great for one night until water got into them. I may try again with some O ring lubricant and a ziplock bag. You can't beat the price!
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

18. Back To Top    #18

I bought two sets and found that the magnets aren't strong enough to use, the metal plates zip tied to the ladder doesn't work either since the air inside forces them to float. However! I did get lucky and they fit nicely wedged in the gap on the sides of each step. Didn't notice any water in them. Used for about an hour last night. I'm planning to get 1 more set so I will have 6. 3 on each side (the top step lip won't hold it since the bottom part flips upward).

The pressure from them wanting to float makes them fit perfectly!

With 4 last night I could see throughout the entire pool. If I could aim 2 in every direction it would be much brighter, but other than using string to wrap around them and the step I can't find any way to mount it other than wedging under the steps lip.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]