Pool Pilot Check Clean Cell

Jun 18, 2012
I have a Pool Pilot Digital and the Check Clean Cell begins flashing periodically. When this happens the volts and amps drop to around 16/4. When it is not flashing they are around 20/6. Power level is on 2. It is still producing chlorine but I am running it much more than use to. Any ideas or should I just order a replacement cell. It is 4 years old. SC-36.

Welcome to TFP!

Chances are that the cell is wearing out. However, before giving up on the cell do a visual inspection of the cell plates. If there are any white crusty deposits on the cell plates that is probably the source of the problem and cleaning the cell (acid soak) should take care if it.

I inspected and no white crusties. I did notice what looked like corrosion on some of the inner plates and did the acid cleaning. Helped a little but did not eliminated completely. Had some bubbling going on during acid cleaning. I am guessing the Volt/Amp out of an acceptable range is what sets the check clean cell fault off? Is that correct? I read everyone talking about the outer plates shorter than the inner and that indicates wear and posible expiration of the cell. Is that also true?, as the outer plates on my cell are slightly shorter than the inner. Thanks for the help!

My reading on system is 4000ppm, I have a salt tester and it reads around 3200ppm. Would that cause the check / clean cell error. If so, I can recalibrate the system to correct salt ppm.

Low salt, scaled or failing cell, or cold water temperatures. 3200 ppm is fine and will not cause this error message. With the SC-36 cell, its possible to be expired and only show the the Check/Clean Cell rather than the Low Amps/Cell ? display. It would make sense to replace the cell and cell cord.
To calibrate the salt, press MENU, arrow down to MAINTENANCE MENU and press SELECT. Arrow down to CALIBRATE SALT, press SELECT and use the arrow up/down to match your test, then press SELECT. Arrow down to EXIT or END MENU.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.