Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool filter. Clean? Replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool filter. Clean? Replace?

Hello all,
    I just took apart my filter for the first time and I am not sure if I should replace or clean it. I have already hosed it down at a 45 angle all the way around a few times, but it is still quite grungy looking. Also it appears that the strap is gone from around it and some of the pleats have flattened out and distorted. The smaller inner filter looks about the same. I will attach some pictures and would appreciate any input you can give me as to whether I should clean or replace it.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Size: 11370 gallons
    Filter: sta-rite cartridge
    pool: In-ground vinyl
    pump: ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool filter. Clean? Replace?

Soak it overnight in a clean tub. 1 cup of cheap, store brand dishwasher detergent powder to 10 gallons of water.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, what he said. Don't worry about the color or the missing band. You can keep using a cartridge as long as it doesn't have any holes in it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Just wanted to say thanks. Cleaned the filter with dishwasher soap. It worked great. Pressure plummeted by 12 or so PSI and the water looks much better. It was probably long overdue. Thanks for the help!
    Size: 11370 gallons
    Filter: sta-rite cartridge
    pool: In-ground vinyl
    pump: ?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Soak it overnight in a clean tub. 1 cup of cheap, store brand dishwasher detergent powder to 10 gallons of water.

Scott
    Wow, that's a heck of a lot cheaper than the "cartridge filter cleaner" the pool stores sell you. Same result?
    17K saltwater, freeform pebbletec with spa; Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward Northstar 2.4HP 2-speed pump, Hayward H400 heater. Hayward T-CELL-15 salt cell.