Polaris booster pump

Jun 18, 2012
I have repaired or replaced my polaris booster pump twice in the last 4 years, now the motor has died, and the pump itself was making a noise when I used it the first of the season this year. I am currently blocking my return jets and running only on my circulation pump, however it is not enough pressure to operate the polaris properly. Is there an aftermarket high pressure/low volume pump I can use, or maybe a submersible pump I can configure to get the pressure I need.

Thanks
Ken

Just out of curiosity, is it the standard PB4-60, or the "ultra quiet" PB4-60Q? The Q has had a few negative reviews, but the standard seems pretty universally loved, so if yours is a Q, you might be better off with the standard one.

Hello Ken, welcome to TFP! I am sorry to hear you have not had the best luck with booster pumps! I will do my best to help identify and troubleshoot your problem!

First, a few questions:
What cleaner are you using with the PB4-60?
How often are you (or were you) running you cleaner and booster pump?
Were you using the booster pump for anything except the cleaner?
How is your water chemistry? (do you have a good test kit?)
Does your pool get lots of debris from surrounding trees?

In general, replacing a booster pump as often as you have is uncommon. The PB4-60 is typically very reliable, so I am not exactly sure what the cause of your problems are. However, average run time and water chemistry will play a part in the lifespan of your pump!

If you have the Kreepy Krauly Legend Platinum, Legend Platinum Truck Series, or Legend Automatic, the LA01N is another booster pump option. Though I would suggest your run-time and water chemistry are dialed in before spending more money.

The cleaner is a polaris 280 I use it gernerally about 3-5 hours every 4 or 5 days, sometimes only once a week. I use it mainly for blown in dirt and sand sediment. As far as large debris I vacume or remove all of that before use. Pool chemistry is ok, I guess, I have not tested my water in over 5 years and am able to keep everything sparkling clear and clean with very little chemical usage. I use the all in one chlorinator from Sams club, and only use approx 200 to 250 lbs a year. I live in North East Texas and keep the pool open all year.

I see. Well that is not an abnormally long time to run your pump. I am a little curious, however, what your chemical levels are...not sure if that has contributed to your problem with the pump. Do you have any way of testing your water?

I just installed the polaris booster - and noticed a couple of things, these may / may not be happening with your setup

1) the pump was cavitating like crazy - sounded like it was full of ball bearings, and had a steady stream of bubbles blowing into the pool (and the nipples leaked), (tightened all of the nipples to wrench tight, and then the cavitation stopped)
2) the Polaris was able to run without cavitation, pretty much just on the water being sucked thru the returns (they are 3/4 or 5/8 inch returns), (it pulled about ~0.5lbs of pressure thru the filter without the main pump engaged)
3) Do you have a heat or water issue with the location of the pump? (Maybe something is causing the motor to overheat or maybe something is leaking into it? )

i don't think that the motor on these things would die unless there was some kind of problem with the shaft (I ran a whisperflow dry :( 12 hours a day after I closed the pool in october for about 3 weeks, and it worked until I just replaced it (this was 3-4 years ago))

Did you try taking the motor off and turning the shaft by hand to see what it felt like? (I'm not a motor head - but it might tell you if there is something going on with the motor, tightness or binding / grinding noise when you turn the shaft.)

--Adrian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.