Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: no clue what to do

1. Back To Top    #1

no clue what to do

We have a 22' x 52" above ground pool. Set it up, within a day, it was green. Took a sample to a local pool store, had us turn off SWG, add 15 lb of baking soda, and more salt, and a canister of something "green away" (algecide perhaps?? not sure). It was clear again, but then we had severe rains for a weekend, we realized the leveling of the pool was off after the ground was so soggy. Emptied the pool, re-leveled, refilled, sparkling clean, used it once.

Two days later. Green again (this was yesterday). Got some fancier test strips, pH was high, so we got pH down to put in. Did a shock plus yesterday. Green was a little lighter this am (SWG has been off). The salt strips also say the salt level is only around 600-800 ppm!!! (isn't it supposed to be around 3000???)

Ok, so I got a shock blue packet today, but I brushed all over, vacuumed pool, cleaned filter (a dark rusty color all over that!), and put the shock in. Checked levels about 20 minutes later, pH about normal, alkalinity low, FC very high (expected that) and total chorline, normal to high range.

Still greenish, so what do I do now?

Just want to use the pool!
    12,000 (fill water with well water)
    Cartridge filter
    AG 22'x52" Intek Ultra Frame
    SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: no clue what to do

Welcome! Here's a list of things you'll want to do.

1. You need a quality test kit. TF-100 is the preferred kit around here. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate.
    2. Once you get a good test kit, you'll need to post a complete set of results, and we'll guide you through what needs to happen.
    3. I'm no SWG expert, but it sounds like you're chlorine production is not sufficient, and you need to follow the shock process.

The pool store did nothing to help you.....they sold you product that had nothing to do with the obvious algae issue.

Read through Pool School when you get a few minutes. You'll find everything you need to know so you can use the pool!
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF100 is from TFTestKits.net, Internet orders only, well worth it and strongly recommended.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

You want a complete test kit that contains an FAS-DPD kit for chlorine testing. It will give you accurate FC and CC up to 50ppm, which will be critical during the shock process. You can buy either the TF100 or Taylor K-2006. The TF100 is a little more, but it's a better value because you get more tests. The vast majority of users here use it. I have one, and I love it. I highly suggest springing for the SpeedStir as well. Extremely convenient.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

what can/should I do in the meantime? (while waiting for the test kit to arrive...)
    Cartridge filter
    SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Could it be metals? Did you add more salt after you refilled it?
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

7. Back To Top    #7

yes, we put 7-40lb bags in (this is what's recommended when filling/refilling)
    Cartridge filter
    SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Went to the pool store and they did a water analysis for us, free of charge, since we still had some of the chemicals we had purchased from them.

Here is the list:

total Alkalinity: 55
    pH: 6.98
    CYA: 30
    FC: 8.95
    TC: 8.95
    CH: 25
    copper: 0
    iron: 0
    Salt: 3100

Their prescription: turn off SWG for 72 hours (to avoid damage), add 5 lbs of TA (baking soda), wait 2 hours, add 5 more lbs (total of 10 lbs), add algaecide, then when pool is clear, put 4 lbs of stabilizer in pantyhose, and hang that on ladder
    Cartridge filter
    SWG