Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tanning Shelf or Zero Entry

1. Back To Top    #1

Tanning Shelf or Zero Entry

Hello. I'm new to the forum and looking for opinions on designing a new pool. We're looking at an inground free form pool 16x36 with a built in slide and hottub. We're debating whether we want a zero entry or tanning shelf. We have small children and thought either would work for them...thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tanning Shelf or Zero Entry

Zero entry = birds bathing, drinking & pooping in your pool I would do the tanning shelf.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

beach entry?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlmarsh
    Zero entry = birds bathing, drinking & pooping in your pool I would do the tanning shelf.
    Good point! I imagine it's really easy to have a little bit of stubborn algae right at the edge too.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlmarsh
    At my last house I had the great idea of exposing the spillover from the spa to the pool (instead of leaving the deck in between and having a hole for the water flow).

All this resulted in was the birds jumping down to the spill over for water and crapping all over everything.

Also, unless you have a drain the full length of the zero entry (like resorts) then I think you would find a debris line just out of the water.

+1 on the shelf
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

My builder also advised against the zero or beach entry, and precisely for the same reasons: birds.
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

7. Back To Top    #7

we don't have zero entry, but our top step is barely covered with water. this makes for an extremely slick surface which I think would maybe be the same for zero entry.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

8. Back To Top    #8

+1 on the tanning ledge. We love ours, plus if you have a cleaner it will try to climb out of the pool with a zero entry.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

9. Back To Top    #9

I had an AG 18' years ago that birds would fly into and drown. Fished out about 10 in 3 yrs. I had neither beach nor tanning shelf. I did have bird poop though. lol
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator