Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I run my pump 24/7?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I run my pump 24/7?

Should i run muy pump 24/7? i always have but thought it might save some electricity to not. is it best to turn it off at night or during the day?

Jeremiah Hough

22,000 gallon, vinyl liner, chlorine, with auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Should I run my pump 24/7?

Definitely don't have to. Most people here run their between 6 and 10 hours a day. You're looking for at least one full turnover of water per day, plus enough to keep the water clean and clear. Maybe start with 12 hours a day, and if it still looks good, back it off by an hour every couple of days. Every pool is different, so just find what works.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Should I run my pump 24/7?

It depends on different factors, such as, do you have different rates during the day and at night, do you have a SWCG, when do you regularly use the pool.
    I've recently increased my run time because of the chlorine demand and the SWCG to 10 hours might have to increase to 12 hours. There is a link in pool school determining pump run time. Good info there.
    Here's the link: pool-school/pump_run_time
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida