Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Stiff hair after swimming

Stiff hair after swimming

Not sure the best place for this question, but what causes stiff hair after swimming?

I have tried to narrow it down to what causes it, but I have been unsuccessful. My girls hair is always stiff after swimming - when they don't immediately wash their hair. This occurs in our home pool, and in indoor & outdoor pools (my girls swim competitively so they spend a lot of time in pools). Obviously, the pools are not maintained exactly the same. Everyone tends to blame hair issues on chlorine, but I am not sure it is the culprit in this.
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

Re: Stiff hair after swimming

I can't tell you the why...but i have a solution...

I have shoulder length hair and it is very fine, but thick. This has always happened to me as well. I carry a spray on conditioner (my choice is Pantene) with me whenever i swim and when i get out, i just spray a little in, brush it and ta-da, i then have soft hair and it's not stiff at all.
    10,700 gal Round; Vinyl liner,
    New Hayward pump ProFlo 1.5....150 lb. sand filter.
    Baqua to BBB.....BBB is the only way to go!!!!
    A Cinderella story with a "happy ever after" ending.

I knows that ocean water especially seems to cause this so I would guess salt (probably calcuim) has something to do with it.

Step one is to wet their hair with tap water about 15 minutes before entering the pool. It will help prevent the hair from absorbing pool water
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Step one is to wet their hair with tap water about 15 minutes before entering the pool. It will help prevent the hair from absorbing pool water
    If that works that would likely rule out chlorine as the culprit because standard tap water has about 4 ppm chlorin; at least free chlorine.

Quote Originally Posted by jmborchers
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    If that works that would likely rule out chlorine as the culprit because standard tap water has about 4 ppm chlorin; at least free chlorine.
    A lot of utilities use chloramines rather than chlorine for sanitizing the water, which wouldn't register as free chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Hum, interesting. Maybe that's one of the culprits. I was looking it up and found they were claiming anything from chlorine to metals to salts. So there's no real data test. The Mythbusters should get to work on some pool myths!

JohnT nailed it: take a shower and soak your hair before you take a dip.

(I used to do that, but now I prefer the spray-in conditioner.)
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

At the one pool, swimmers are required to take showers before swimming. They get their showers before stretching so it is 10-20 minutes between shower and swim - they still end up with stiff hair. One daughter always takes a shower and washes/conditions her hair before leaving the locker room. The other one rarely does. Overall there really is no difference in the "health" of their hair.
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    SWG
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

My pool has a somewhat high Calcium Hardness level (390) and my hair gets "stiff" when swimming too. I'm thinking it's the Calcium.
    21,000 Gallon IG Plaster with Spillover Spa (Built in 1978) | 48 sq/ft Hayward DE Filter | 3.0 HP Pentair Variable Speed Pump | Hayward H250FDN Heater| 8 Gallon Liquidator | Taylor K-2005 | Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Test | Taylor "SpeedStir"